About this program
PhD in Computational Science
The Doctoral Study Program of Computer Science follows up on the follow-up master's degree programs offered at VSB-TUO: Computational and applied mathematics (newly accredited program with two specializations - a) Computational methods and HPC and b) Applied mathematics), Informatics, Applied Physics, Nanotechnology, Applied Mechanics.
The main goal is to provide deep theoretical training and practical training in the field of supercomputer combining theoretical instruction with the solution of specialized projects on powerful supercomputers. Further, to provide basic theoretical training in the field of dissertation topic at the level usual for the doctoral degree and practical training of utilization of supercomputer in this field.
The secondary aim is to provide language training for effective communication in the field both in Czech and English or in another foreign language, to provide training in basic general skills required for a career in high tech companies or academic career (communication and reporting, teamwork, project management).
Another aim is to involve students in national and international cooperation in the field of high-performance computing (HPC) and applications in computational sciences or in non-academic practice (with emphasis on interdisciplinarity), either through internships with partners in the Czech Republic or abroad or by dissertations led together with foreign partners or partners from the non-academic sphere (see Part of the Study Program Intent and Reasoning).
- diploma (follow-up) master’s degree;
- diploma supplement;
- a document proving the fulfilment of the condition of proper completion of studies in (follow-up) master degree program if education was obtained abroad (not applicable equivalent documents, e.g. from the Slovak Republic).
- language certificate. The applicant is required to demonstrate their ability to study in the chosen language. In the case of studying in the Czech language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the Czech or Slovak language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of the Czech language at B1 level. In the case of studying in the English language, it is sufficient to submit a proof of university degree completed in the English language; otherwise the applicant must submit a certificate proving their knowledge of English at B1 level (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS). If the information on teaching in English is not given on the document of previous education, it is necessary to provide the so-called "Medium of instruction".
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Applied Functional Analysis
- Applied Linear Algebra
- Basic Methods of Statistical Data Analysis in Practice
- Big Data Processing
- Code Analysis and Optimization
- Complex Systems Modelling
- Computational Electrical Engineering
- Computational Quantum Chemistry
- Data Analysis
- Discrete Mathematics
- External subject 1
- External subject 2
- External subject 3
- Finite Element Method in Mechanics
- HPC libraries and tools
- Image Analysis
- Mathematical Theory of Elasticity
- Modelling in Electrical Power Engineering
- Modelling of Mass and Heat Transfer
- Numerical Methods
- Parallel Algorithms
- Parallel Architectures
- Particle Simulations
- Physical Chemistry
- Selected Problems of Fluid Mechanics
- Supramolekulární chemie a design funkčních nanostruktur
- The Electromagnetic Field
- Theory of Computation
- Unconvential Algorithms and Computations
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information
Tuition fee: 50 000 CZK per semester, approx. 4000 EUR per academic year
His skills will include the ability to analyze, restructure, and optimize parallel codes to be able to exploit the potential of superpower-level supercomputers and the ability to implement complex software solutions to the problem. At the same time, he will be able to communicate effectively with HPC specialists and in the field of the dissertation, both in the formulation and analysis of application problems and in their solution, the optimal use of computing resources. In addition, it will have the ability to flexibly expand its HPC knowledge and dissertation thesis topic to further advanced disciplines as required by the employer.
Potential employment of graduates
A graduate of the Doctoral Program in Computer Science will find employment in the commercial, academic and research spheres, but will also receive adequate training to continue his academic career in supercomputer and HPC or in the field of doctoral dissertation. These professionals will find their use not only in partner institutions of the Doctoral School for Education in Mathematical Methods and Tools in HPC (currently see https://smlouvy.gov.cz/smlouva/3202594), but also in other educational and research institutions, as well as in the development centers of industrial companies that operate or will continue to run their own computing systems whose size does not have to reach the IT4Innovations centers, however these professionals (such as researcher, IT systems manager or software developer) necessary.
Message the school
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
Want to know more about PhD in Computational Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Doctorate / PhD
Doctorate / PhD
Doctorate / PhD
Doctorate / PhD
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain
Doctorate / PhD