About this program
Bachelors in Materials Engineering
The Materials Engineering study program offers a good perspective in terms of employment in the labor market. Students will get to know all important groups of technical materials - metals, polymers, structural ceramics to composite materials. The program includes basic information on the technologies of preparation and further processing of materials, it deals in detail with methods of testing properties and evaluating the structure of materials. The guaranteeing workplace has laboratories that are comparable to similar workplaces in developed countries. Students already have the opportunity to get involved in solving industrial problems during their studies, they can also complete internships abroad. If interested, graduates can further deepen their knowledge in the follow-up master's degree program Materials Engineering.
Secondary school-leaving certificate
English-language ability – students, who are not native speakers may be asked to demonstrate their ability to study in English, e.g. by presenting the results of any language tests they have taken. English language ability document - minimum requirements: IELTS score 5,0; TOEFL internet-based score 62 (possibly other certificates at the same level).
Entrance examination (according to the Faculty Admission Procedure Rules and Conditions for Admission)
Copies of graduation certificates (secondary school-leaving certificate, diplomas) and transcripts of records />Recognition document of graduation certificate - official document to say that the degree is recognized in the Czech Republic
Payment of Registration Fee 500 CZK per 1 study program, it is non-returnable Valid visa and passport
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Basics of Mathematics
- Earth science
- English Language for Foreigners b/I
- Introduction to Geoinformatics
- Physical Education A
- Soft Skills I
- English Language for Foreigners b/II
- Excursion in Mineralogy and Petrography
- Geological Field Practice
- Historical Geology
- Mathematics I
- Physical Education B
- Bachelor Physics
- English Language for Foreigners c/I
- Mathematics II
- Mineral Deposits
- Regional Geology
- Rock and Soil Mechanics
- Descriptive Geometry
- Documentation and Sampling
- English Language for Foreigners c/II
- Geological Excursion
- Microscopical Practicum
- Modeling of Terrain and Landscape
- Engineering Geology
- Informatics and Bibliography
- Methods of Exploration Techniques
- Modelling of Geological Objects
- Bachelor thesis seminar
- Computer Graphics
- Global Navigation and Positioning Systems
- Methodology of Geological Exploration
- Practical Training in Drilling
- Regional hydrogeology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the VSB-Technical University of Ostrava for more information.
Tuition fee: 50 000 CZK per semester, approx. 2000 EUR per academic year
The graduate is able to:
- Select proper technical material for the typical conditions of use (mechanical stress, external environment, etc.).
- Design suitable types of tests for the evaluation of mechanical, or other properties of materials, to propose appropriate types of tests for evaluating the structure of materials and to perform some of the tests yourself.
- Design basic technological procedures for the production and processing of materials with regard to the required mechanical other useful properties.
- Design suitable technological procedures for recycling technical materials.
- Carry out basic expertise in the field of materials - for example, define the likely causes of defects, or degradation of materials during their production, further processing and subsequent operational exposure, determine the causes of unsatisfactory mechanical and other useful properties, etc.
- Actively participate in production management processes and quality control of technical materials.
- The graduate has knowledge of production technologies, processing and recycling processes of basic groups of technical materials.
- The graduate has knowledge of the most important properties of technical materials, especially mechanical, physical and chemical properties; it also contains the most important methods of evaluating material properties.
- The graduate has knowledge of the internal structure (microstructure) of the main groups of technical materials at different dimensional level, and also masters the most important methods of evaluating the structure of technical materials.
- The graduate masters the basic characteristics of the main groups of technical materials (metals, polymers, ceramic materials and composite materials); in particular, the connections between their internal structure and useful properties, as well as the basic concepts of controlling the properties of materials by means of changes in their chemical composition and structure based on the optimization of their production and further processing technologies.
- The graduate has knowledge of the most important degradation mechanisms of technical materials, including factors that influence the resistance of materials to these degradation mechanisms.
Message the school
About this institute
VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
VSB-TUO’s study programs are built on a 170-year tradition. Currently, there are almost eleven thousand undergraduates and graduates studying for degrees at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD levels in engineering, IT, technology, economics and business administration. Courses are provided by seven...
Why study at VSB - Technical University of Ostrava
Study at VSB-TUO places an emphasis on practical training, whilst investigating real problems from today’s state-of-the-art industries, using the latest software and instruments. In many subjects 50% of the coursework is practically oriented, perfectly complimenting the advanced theoretical instruction, and ensuring that graduates have gained the education and experience sought by employers the world over. VSB-TUO has strong links to industry and thrives on applied research, in cooperation with companies and institutions worldwide, in finding innovative solutions to modern day issues.
Want to know more about Bachelors in Materials Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!