Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans and Lakes)Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans and Lakes)
The interuniversity Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (known as: Oceans & Lakes) offers a multidisciplinary approach to marine and lacustrine systems. It integrates physical, chemical, geological, ecological and societal aspects and encourages students to also consider conservational and sustainability features. Students are provided with strong fundamental and applied knowledge and are prepared for an active role in the scientific research and management of marine and lacustrine systems.
In this joint programme on aquatic systems, three universities in Flanders (Belgium) - the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Universiteit Antwerpen and Universiteit Gent combine their expertise. Many other experts and institutions are also involved in on this programme, adding even more knowhow.
Insight into the complexity of life
This two-year master’s Program offers a unique combination of study in the marine and lacustrine field. It provides insight into the complexity of life and processes in marine environments and lakes, and offers skills to study and manage them. This combination of disciplines makes the Program unique in Europe. It comprises management and policy as well as commercial aspects of aquatic ecosystems and law. Since admission is open to holders of various science-related bachelor’s degrees, it may offer a unique opportunity to re-orientate your study career, and to broaden your horizon and meet people from different backgrounds.
Direct admission to the Program is granted to holders of a Bachelor in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Geomatics, Bioengineering Sciences, Environmental Sciences.
For other Bachelors in science, applied science and life sciences, admission will be evaluated by the Oceans and Lakes Steering Committee based on academic records and skills.
Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree of minimum 3 years with good overall scores (at least upper second class or equivalent) from a university or recognised equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The course Program consists of 6 parts:
- Core courses
- Broadening courses
- Supporting courses
- One major to choose out of 4 specialisations:
- Major 1: Global Change Impacts on Ecology and Biodiversity
- Major 2: Conservation Biology and Ecosystem Management
- Major 3: Environmental Impact and Remediation
- Major 4: Marine and Lacustrine Geosciences
- The master thesis
- Estuarine and Coastal Systems
- Law and Ethics on Conservation of Aquatic Systems
- In-situ and Remote Sensing Tools in Aquatic Sciences
- Environmental Modelling
- Integrated Marine Coastal Ecology Field Course
- River & Lake Ecology
- Seminars: Case Studies on Biodiversity Management
Choice 1 - Field Courses
- Integrated Field Course at Sea
- Integrated Limnological Field Course
- Monsoon School
- Summer School
- Governance and Policy in Development and Cooperation - Part I
- Governance and Policy in Development and Cooperation - Part II
- Introduction to GIS
- Water Quality
- Applied Geomorphology
- Natural Risk Management
- Data and Information Management
- Introduction to Marine and Lacustrine Biology
- Introduction to Data Mining
- Advanced Applied Statistics
- Analysis of Biological Data
- Conservation Genetics
- Stable Isotope Geochemistry
Major Global Change Impacts on Ecology and Biodiversity
- Marine Genomics
- Marine Food Web Ecology
- Ecology of Coastal Seas
- Marine Extreme Systems
- Lacustrine Systems
- Aquatic Microbial Ecology
Major Conservation Biology and Ecosystem Management
- Marine Fisheries Ecology and Management
- Integrated Coastal Zone Management
- Tropical Marine Ecology and Restoration
- Conservation Genetics
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Law of the Sea and Protection of Oceans
- Marine Biodiversity
Major Environmental Impact and Remediation
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Integrated Practicals
- Aquatic Ecotoxicology and Environmental Monitoring
- Ecosystem Based Adaptation to Global Change
- Physiology of Aquatic Organisms
- Global Change Physiology
Major Marine and Lacustrine Geosciences
- Advanced Sedimentology
- Paleobiology of Micro-Organisms
- Integrated Offshore Exploration
- Paleoclimatology and Climate Change
- Master Thesis: Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management
The full tuition price for EEA students is 938.8 €. The price for Non-EEA students is 938.8 €
After graduation continue your academic career as a PhD researcher.
A master degree opens doors in many different branches and sectors. You will be able to work in the private sector, (non-) governmental organisations. Not sure what your next step should be? The VUB helps you with your first steps on the job market.
Your ticket to a fascinating career
The Program aims to provide you with strong fundamental and applied knowledge for scientific research and management of marine and lacustrine systems. It prepares you to play an active role in research, policy and management. This multidisciplinary Master’s diploma is your ticket to a fascinating professional world and can be the start of an international career. The integration of knowledge from across various disciplines is valuable, and you can contribute significantly in various jobs that are concerned with marine and lacustrine domains anywhere in the world.
About this institute
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
VUB is a public and modern university located in Brussels, the heart of Europe. Ranked as one of world’s top universities, it offers a full range of bachelor’s and master’s programmes taught in English. The University counts 16.000 students, 21%...
Want to know more about Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans and Lakes)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...