Master of Science in Communication Studies: New Media and Society in Europe
Become An Expert In European Media
The Master of Communication Studies is a one-year academic master with a focus on New Media and Society in Europe. This unique English language program focuses on the rapidly changing field of media and communication in a European context. The program takes an original interdisciplinary approach and allows students to concentrate on business, policy and/or user aspects of new media.
At The Heart Of Europe
This Master of Communication Studies gives you the unique opportunity to study in an environment with all European institutions right at hand. The European Union plays a crucial role in media and communication policies. It has tried to foster a single European market in media and services. Through several large programs, it has stimulated innovation and the emergence of a European Information Society. The European Commission’s current Digital Agenda for Europe sets the framework for the coming years. In this master program, you will gain an understanding of European policy and policymaking in the fields of media, innovation and the internet.
Candidates with a Flemish ‘Bachelor of Science in Communicatiewetenschappen' (VUB or other) degree or with a VUB Bachelor of Social Sciences degree have direct access to the program.
Admission After Screening Of Your Academic Record
All other applications are evaluated individually by an Admission Board. Factors taking into account by the Admission Board include:
- English language proficiency (see below for minimal criteria)
- Academic degree(s) already acquired in a relevant study field
- Grades scored in previous studies (upload all higher educational transcripts of records)
- Quality of motivation letter, including the fit between your motivation and what we offer
- Other relevant experience
Depending on the content of your previous studies, the Board can assign a short and individual preparatory program to the candidate. This preparatory program can be combined with the Master program and typically consists of one or two extra courses to be taken during the master year. You can not only apply for the preparatory program if you're not found eligible to join the master.
Good English language skills are an important prerequisite for successfully following the master. There are three ways to prove your proficiency:
Option A: send us one of the following language certificates proving your CEFR B2 level:
- TOEFL (only the internet-based test is accepted): minimum level: 79
- IELTS: minimum level academic module 6.5
- Cambridge English: Minimum scale grade 170 (equivalent to the CEFR B2)
- ITACE: minimum grade B2
Option B: having successfully completed secondary or higher education with English as language of instruction:
- submit official proof of the language of instruction of your previous study;
Option C: having successfully completed Belgian secondary education
- submit official proof that you completed a study in the Belgian educational system
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- European Media and Communication Policies
- Theories on Media, Technology and Society
- Brussels Talking: Europe, Media and Society (Lecture Series)
- Users and Innovation in Digital Media
- Critical Issues in Media Economics
- Master Thesis
- European Media Markets
- Media, Culture and Globalisation Theories
- Data, Privacy and Society
- Digital Methods and Innovation
- Business and Consumer Ethics
- Internet Censorship, Control and Governance
- Media Literacy and Digital Inclusion
- European Public Sphere
- Traineeship in Communication Studies: New Media and Society in Europe
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- EEA students: €961,90 per year
- Non-EEA students: €3.247,90 per year
Credits: 60 ECTS
About this institute
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
VUB is a public and modern university located in Brussels, the heart of Europe. Ranked as one of the world’s top universities, it offers a full range of bachelor’s and master’s programmes taught in English. The University counts over 19.500...
Want to know more about Master of Science in Communication Studies: New Media and Society in Europe? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...