Master of Science in Communication Studies: Journalism and Media in Europe
Become an expert in journalism and media in the capital of Europe
The Master of Communication Studies: Journalism and Media in Europe is an academic master that prepares you to become a media and communications professional with a profound strategic and interdisciplinary understanding of journalism and media in a European context. You will study changing journalistic business models, journalistic practices in today’s digital age, and the relationship between journalism, politics, lobbying and ideology.
With its range of European and international institutions and the many media, journalism and communication professionals working here, Brussels is the perfect place to study media and journalism in Europe. As a student in this master you will be part of a dynamic and diverse group of students from across Europe and beyond. Teaching methods are interactive and designed to make good use of these diverse educational and national backgrounds.
In Brussels you have European and international institutions right at hand. This Master will acquaint you with European institutions, important journalism and media players, lobbyists and NGO’s, and communication and media agencies. The Master includes a yearly lecture series with prestigious speakers from the European media industry, journalism and European institutions. You will also get to know the Brussels reality through organised site visits, and the possibility of a traineeship.
Candidates with a Flemish ‘Bachelor of Science in Communicatiewetenschappen' (VUB or other) degree or with a VUB Bachelor of Social Sciences degree have direct access to the program.
Admission After Screening
All other applications are evaluated individually by an Admission Board. Factors taking into account by the Admission Board include:
- English language proficiency (see below for minimal criteria)
- Academic degree(s) already acquired in a relevant study field
- Grades scored in previous studies (upload all higher educational transcripts of records)
- Quality of motivation letter, including the fit between your motivation and what we offer
- Other relevant experience
Depending on the content of your previous studies, the Board can assign a short and individual preparatory program to the candidate. This preparatory program can be combined with the Master program and typically consists of one or two extra courses to be taken during the master year. You can not only apply for the preparatory program if you're not found eligible to join the master.
Good English language skills are an important prerequisite for successfully following the master. There are three ways to prove your proficiency:
- Option A: send us one of the following language certificates proving your CEFR B2 level:
- TOEFL (only the internet-based test is accepted): minimum level: 79
- IELTS: minimum level academic module 6.5
- Cambridge English: CAE grade B or CPE grade C (equivalent to the CEFR B2)
- ITACE: minimum grade B2
- Option B: having successfully completed secondary or higher education with English as language of instruction:
- submit official proof of the language of instruction of your previous study;
- Option C: having successfully completed Belgian secondary education
- submit official proof that you completed a study in the Belgian educational system
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Journalism: Trends and Technologies
- Journalism, Politics and Ideology
- The Political Economy of Journalism in the EU
- Brussels Talking: Europe, Media and Society Lecture Series
- Journalism Practice in Europe
- Master Thesis
Traineeship or elective courses:
- Data, Privacy and Society
- Digital Methods and Innovation
- European Media Markets
- Media, Culture and Globalisation Theories
- Populist and Radical Political Discourses in Europe
- Influence and Lobbying (elective, at ULB)
- European Public Sphere
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- EEA students: €961,90 per year
- Non-EEA students: €3.247,90 per year
Credits: 60 ECTS
Students also continue your academic career as a PhD researcher.
Our alumni are currently working as journalists and communication and media professionals in Brussels and across Europe and beyond in a variety of sectors and organisations. Positions include: journalists; press officers, communication officials and policy advisors in national, European and international institutions and NGO's; marketing managers and social media strategists; lobbying and advocacy; academic researchers, independent entrepreneurs in the media and communication sector.
About this institute
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
VUB is a public and modern university located in Brussels, the heart of Europe. Ranked as one of the world’s top universities, it offers a full range of bachelor’s and master’s programmes taught in English. The University counts over 19.500...
Want to know more about Master of Science in Communication Studies: Journalism and Media in Europe? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...