Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
European Master of Science in PhotonicsVrije Universiteit Brussel
European Master of Science in Photonics
The European Master of Science in Photonics is an English-taught 2-year master Program (120 ects) that leads to a joint degree from Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Ghent University. We offer students a challenging engineering Program that combines core photonics courses with a whole range of photonics electives and multidisciplinary modules, e.g. Electronics and Information Technology, Physics and Materials, Business Engineering, Modelling, Measurement and Control and Life Sciences.
This multidisciplinary approach combined with high-level training in labs and a strong international component has proven to boost the employement prospects of our graduates to a maximum in innovative industries and research domains such as biotechnology, health care, green energy, ICT and Industry 4.0.
- For international students
- Bachelor or master degree in (Applied) Physics/Electrical Engineering/Materials Science
- Bachelor or master degree in another scientific field will also be considered based on pre-knowledge
- For belgian degree holders
- Bachelor or master degree in (Applied) Physics/Electrical Engineering/Materials Science have direct access
- Bachelor or master degree in Architecture, Physics, Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology, industrial Science - Electronics/ICT, Engineering Science or KMS Polytechnical Department can apply for the preparatory Program of 30 ECTS
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Common General Compulsory Courses
- Introduction to Business
- Optical Materials
- Mathematics in Photonics
- Laboratories in Photonics Research
- Business Aspects of Micro-electronics and Photonics
- Optical Communication Systems
- Sensors and Microsystem Electronics
- Physics of Semiconductor Technologies and Devices
- Recent trends in Photonics
Advanced Photonics Electives
- Introduction to Quantum Physics for Electrical Engineering
- Micro- and nanophotonic semiconductor devices
- Optical Sensors
- Photovoltaic Energy Conversion
- Quantum optics
- Internship in Photonics
- Photonic Integrated Circuits
- Display Technology
- High Speed Photonic Components
- Non-linear optics
- Optical Spectroscopy of Materials
- Design of Refractive and Diffractive Optical Imaging Systems
- Optical Design of Non-Imaging Systems with Ray-tracing software
Multidisciplinary Engineering Electives
- Module Modeling, Measuring and Control Systems
- Module Electronics and Information Technology
- Module Physics and Materials
- Module Life Sciences
- Module Business Engineering
Master Thesis Project - 2nd year of the model learning track
- Master Thesis Project
The full tuition price for EEA students is 939€. The price for Non-EEA students is 939€
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
About this institute
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
VUB is a public and modern university located in Brussels, the heart of Europe. Ranked as one of world’s top universities, it offers a full range of bachelor’s and master’s programmes taught in English. The University counts 16.000 students, 21%...
Want to know more about European Master of Science in Photonics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Mental health support after COVID-19
What do you expect from your university?
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Chicago, United States of America