International Development Management (BSc)VHL University of Applied Sciences
About this program
Are you contributing to change?
Are you ready to make a true impact? Are you committed to real climate change, equality and fair trade? In this study programme, you turn your commitment into action.You will develop into a specialist in sustainable transitions. You understand what interests various stakeholders defend, ensure international cooperation and make sustainability your guiding principle.
Finding the balance between people, planet and prosperity is critical in this study programme. We believe that through fair trade, equal rights and equal opportunities, a healthy balance between people, planet and prosperity can be achieved. Not from behind a desk, but in hands-on practice and through direct contact.
IDM focusses on 5 core themes:
Environmental Justice: Natural resources are becoming scarcer due to climate change, while people depend on them for their livelihoods. You will learn how to develop solutions to restore the balance between nature and society.
Disaster & Conflict Reduction: 50% of disaster-affected populations live in conflict zones. You will work on realtime cases, analyse them and design solutions to increase resilience of local populations.
Social Inclusion & Diversity: This theme focuses on marginalisation of minority groups, discrimination and polarisation. You will explore advocacy and human rights to create an inclusive society.
Healthy Diets and Resilient Communities: Learn how to develop solutions to ensure communities are healthy and resilient through fair and stable access to nutritious and culturally appropriate food.
Just and Sustainable Value Chains: Production chains of cotton, coffee or cocoa are often characterised by many unsustainable practices. You will learn how existing power structures work and how to empower small-scale producers.
A secondary school diploma which is equivalent to the Dutch havo diploma. Examples of equivalent levels are the International Baccalaureate diploma or A-Levels. Your diploma will be evaluated after we have received your complete application.
International students must provide proof of their English proficiency by submitting one of the following documents:
- IELTS Academic test with an overall band score of 6.0 and no sub-scores below 5.0
- TOEFL IBT test with a score of 80 or above (internet based)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English* (CAE): pass at grade C or above;
- Cambridge First Certificate (FCE)*: pass at grade B/C or above.
Depending on your diploma you might be exempted from providing proof of English proficiency. Please visit our website for more information.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction and History International Collaboration
- Climate Change, Nature and Sustainable Production & Consumption
- Inequality and Inclusiveness
- Project management, organisation and company orientation
- Lobby, Advocacy & Applied Research
- Thematic Deepening | for example Disasters & Conflicts
Two international internships are incorporated into each of our programmes to obtain well-valued international work experience even before you graduate. You will also have the opportunity to study a semester abroad as we are part of the Erasmus exchange programme.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check our website for more information.
- Tution fee for EU: € 2314 a year*
- Tution fee for non-EU: € 8900 a year
*The Dutch government is halving tuition fees for first-year EU Bachelor students in higher education. Those who meet the conditions will pay only € 1,157 in the first year.
- Degree: Bachelor
- When you successfully graduate from International Development Management you will have obtained a Bachelor of Science degree (BSc).
You can work at an government agency or NGO, a commercial business or set up your own organisation. We will help you build your own network of organisations where you can get work in the future!
Possible jobs include:
- Campaigner for youth activism at Oxfam Novib
- Lobbyist for green change
- Programme manager for Because we Carry on the Greek island of Lesbos
- Emergency Relief Coordinator at the Dutch Red Cross
- Project Manager at MedAir in Afghanistan
- Expert Mental Health and Psychosocial Support at Cordaid
- Food System Resilience advisor at FAO in the Horn of Africa
- Developer of a support programme for cocoa farmers for Tony Chocolonely
- Sales and Business Development at a plastic recycling company
Message the school
About this institute
Building your world
At VHL, we prepare you to build your own world. To make a real change. On topics that really matter. Like food safety, climate change, the circular economy and animal welfare. How do we do this? With Bachelors and Masters...
Why study at VHL University of Applied Sciences
Do you want to contribute to a more sustainable world and work on your personal development? Study at Van Hall Larenstein, the most sustainable University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands! We offer a range of unique English-taught Bachelor, Master and Certificate programs in fields in which the Netherlands is at the top. So whether you are interested in nutrition or international trade, working with animals, or want to work on the United Nations Sustainability Goals, we have the right program for you!
- Small-scale university of applied sciences with personal attention
- Sustainable thinking and doing: Make a difference!
- Practical lessons in experimental farms, gardens, and tech-labs
- International internships incorporated within the programs
- Professional orientation with guest lectures, excursions and real life cases
- Unique study programs in fields in which the Netherlands is a frontrunner
Want to know more about International Development Management (BSc)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!