Master in Production Management
Prepare for a leadership role in the manufacturing industry. In this two-year, English-taught programme, you’ll strengthen your technical skills while developing advanced business knowledge. By the end of your studies, you’ll have advanced skills in production technology, management and organisation, and digital technologies. You’ll also have real-world skills from collaborating with industry on company projects, an optional internship and consulting opportunities. The ideal setting for your studies, Sweden is home to more global manufacturing companies per capita than any other country. Learn to bridge the gap between production and the rest of the business.
You will be considered for admission to the Master in Production Management programme if you fulfil the following entry requirements:
Bachelor of Science degree in industrial engineering and management, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, or similar. The degree must be comprised of a minimum of 15 credits in mathematics, including basic knowledge of analysis, linear algebra and statistics.
English Language Requirement
The English language requirement is the equivalent of English studies at the upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden. Check the university's website for more information about English language requirements.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Operations Management
- Production Systems Development
- Digital Transformation
- Managing Big Data
Reflective and Responsible Production Management
- Sustainable Production
- Operations Strategy
- Management Science
- Simulation in Production and Logistics
Reflective and Responsible Production Management
- Organising for Improvement
- Research Methodology
Autumn(In Sweden or abroad)
Electives(Recommended course options from University West.)
- Servitisation of Manufacturing
- Supply Chain Management
- Project Management and Organisation
- Quality Management
- Digitally-Enabled Business
You can also choose to study abroad with a partner institution and select from related courses there.
Optional Career-Focused Experiences
- Industry Project
- Exchange Semester
- Extended Master’s Thesis
Spring(In Sweden or abroad)
Master’s Thesis Project
- Lectures (20%)
- Seminars (15%)
- Practical/group work (20%)
- Independent work or self-study (20%)
- Thesis work (25%)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for 2021/2022 - SEK 130,000 (approx. €12,500) per year
Students with citizenship in countries outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland are required to pay tuition fees for university studies in Sweden.
Upon completion of this master’s programme you will receive a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSc, 120 credits) with a specialisation in Production Management.
You’ll also have a special insight into the opportunities and challenges that digital technologies create.
- Understand various aspects of production and its planning and control, including factory layout and flows and capacity and inventory planning – as well as organisational aspects of production, including the “people factor”
- Develop production systems with an awareness of consequences, opportunities and limitations through gaining familiarity with concepts such as Industry 4.0, the Toyota production system and mass customisation
- Link operations to overall business strategies, product strategies and marketing strategies
- Integrate digital technologies in production, with a focus on data collection, handling and analysis
- Develop familiarity with concepts such as IoT, cyber security and virtual factories
- Understand Big Data and its relationship to IT infrastructure and business solutions, while using basic techniques for washing, storage, handling and analysing data
- Use advanced and data-driven analytical methods – including queue theory, inventory theory and applications of linear optimisation – to solve problems and make better decisions
- Learn Discrete Event Simulation (DES)
- Shape how various aspects of sustainability and ethics are linked to an organisation's operations
- Work with change management at both strategic and operational levels, creating a culture of continuous improvement and learning
- Conduct your research in alignment with scientific theory, ensuring the quality of your research questions as well as the collection and processing of both qualitative and quantitative data
This programme helps you build a strong foundation in the field and develop the qualifications you need to pursue your PhD in production technology and/or production management.
After graduation, you will be eligible to continue studying as a PhD student at University West or other universities in Sweden and abroad.
Companies and research facilities need experts with qualifications in management and organisation, production technology and digital technologies to achieve operational, environmental and financial goals.
Employers are also looking for engineers with an interest in management and organisational aspects of production and operations – people who can provide a holistic perspective on production and its role in the wider organisation. This programme prepares you to think holistically and establish relationships with a range of companies.
About this institute
University West is a modern university offering programmes that are in close collaboration with working life in an attractive, modern study environment. The university has about 15,000 students and 625 employees. The campus is centrally located in the town of...
Want to know more about Master in Production Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...