Studying with us, we will give you the opportunity to embark on an exciting career as a Children’s nurse. It will involve caring for all age groups, including sick newborns, children and adolescents (up to 18 years old). You will care for children and young people with:
• acute illness
• long-term conditions
• life-limiting conditions and at the end of their life
• learning disabilities
• mental health needs
Crucially you will provide care and support not only to the child/young person, but also their parents and carers, working together in partnership.
As a student studying children's nursing you will achieve a BSc (Hons) Nursing and become registered as a Children's Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
You will learn how to observe children and young people and assess their needs. You will develop the knowledge and skills to plan and deliver the most appropriate care for them, in partnership with their parents and carers and evaluate the results, in both hospital and out of hospital settings. Children are not just small adults, they have very specific health needs. You will learn how a healthy child develops towards adulthood and how to minimise the impact of illness. You’ll also learn how to identify a child who is becoming unwell, which can often happen rapidly.
Importantly, you'll learn how to communicate effectively and compassionately with children and young people and build relationships with their parents and families, to provide a positive care experience. Your aim will be to deliver high quality care, underpinned by current research findings.
You'll need to take lots of factors into account and juggle many priorities to get the best possible outcomes. This will include working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team, for example with doctors, hospital play staff, psychologists, physiotherapists and social workers. This exciting course will also allow you to develop a broad range of skills including, teaching, leadership and management. Finally, you will reflect the values of the NHS Constitution and the 6 Cs:
Reasons to choose University of West London:
• You will benefit from a fantastic range of high-tech, innovative teaching resources, making your learning fun and engaging.
• Our teaching staff are highly committed, passionate, subject specialists, with clinical currency, who will be there to support you during your course.
• All our students have a personal tutor who will guide and advise you throughout your academic life. You'll also have access to the University's mentoring service.
• You will be given regular, personalised feedback on your progress in theory and practice, helping you to succeed.
• We have achieved the highest external ratings for the quality of our pre-registration Nursing courses and have been shortlisted for 3 awards at the Student Nursing Times Awards '16.
We have a 98.9% employment rate (Source 2014-15 DLHE), with many graduates gaining employment in local Trusts/healthcare organisations. Following graduation, you may wish to undertake further study to enhance your clinical knowledge and skills, in specialist areas of care delivery.
About this institute
At the University of West London, we aim to inspire you to become a creative professional and connect you to an exciting and rewarding career. Based in the heart of one of the UK’s most successful business regions, we have highly qualified staff with a wealth ofexperience...
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.