Games: Computer Games Design (BA)
Our Computer Games Design degree course at Swansea College of Art UWTSD is perfect for creatives who have a passion for computer games design and the computer games industry. Our exceptional facilities and training prepares our students to excel in both the Games and wider Creative Industries.
This program gives priority to the creative exploration of computer games design. You are given all the necessary knowledge to develop new and innovative work in the fields of character creation, 3D graphics, animation, motion-capture systems, character and environment modelling, texturing, interface design, and concept art. Games mechanics and rule systems ("ludology") are explored often using paper-based concept mock-ups. You are encouraged to explore and develop your ideas in and around the subject area in a series of thought-provoking contextual study modules.
Student learning is primarily through practice: the degree is focussed on you producing working computer games of your own design and culminates in a series of personally directed projects which allow you to direct your studies towards a preferred specialist area. The emphasis is on personal expression!
With UWTSD being a member of the PlayStation®First Academic Program run by Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE), both students and staff can now take advantage of developing game ideas directly the Playstation 4 console platform.
Our standard offer for a degree course is 120 UCAS tariff points. We expect applicants to have a grade C or above in English Language (or Welsh) at GCSE level, together with passes in another four subjects. Plus we accept a range of Level 3 qualifications including:
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, plus one GCE A-Level in a relevant academic subject
- Three GCE A-Levels or equivalent
- BTEC Extended Diploma in a relevant subject, with minimum grades of Merit
- International Baccalaureate score of 32
- Other relevant qualifications can be considered on an individual basis
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Year 1 - Level 4 Modules
- Game Design & History
- Learning in the Digital Era
- Creative Practice
- Introduction to Character Animation
- Contemporary Challenges: Making a Difference
- Environment & Level Design
Year 2 – Level 5 Modules
- The Game Designer’s Context
- Changemakers: Creativity and Value Creation
- Game Design & Asset Creation 1
- Indie Game Development
- Changemakers: Building Your Personal Brand for Sustainable Employment
- Game Design & Asset Creation 2
Year 3 – Level 6 Modules
- Major Project Stage 1
- Advanced Character Animation
- Independent Project
- Emerging Trends
- User Experience Design
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fees for 2021/2022: £13,500
Graduates from our Computer Games Design program could develop specialisms in any of the following industrial contexts:
- Web and Mobile Gaming: designer, 2D artist, 3D artist, project director.
- Console/PC Games Development: level designer, character designer, character modeller, animator, materials artist, lighting artist, storyboard artist, assistant level designer, assistant character modeller, lighting assistant, assistant texture artist, assistant concept artist, trainee game designer, asset modeller, game Q&A.
- Animation Production House: character designer, character modeller, animator, materials artist, lighting artist, storyboard artist, project director.
- Game journalist.
About this institute
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
UWTSD is the oldest University in Wales and was founded in 1822. It has campuses in rural and city locations in the UK. The University’s main campuses are situated in various locations in and around Swansea’s city centre as well...
Want to know more about Games: Computer Games Design (BA)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...