Chinese Studies (BA)
Building on a solid linguistic foundation in modern and classical Chinese, the Lampeter course focuses on the study of China’s history, philosophy, religions, film and literature, exploring how China has historically evolved to become the country it is today.
Our modules examine China’s transformations both from a China-centred perspective as well as from the point of view of its manifold interactions with other countries and civilisations.
The BA Chinese Studies aims to develop fluency in Mandarin and familiarise students with Chinese history and culture in its various manifestations across the entire span of China's pre-modern and modern history. Individual modules examine China’s history, media, politics, philosophy and religions in both past and present.
Single Honours students will spend one year in China, at Beijing Union University or one of our other Chinese partner institutions. This option is also open to Joint Honours students. All students have a further chance to apply for short-term language courses in China and scholarships administered by the Centre for Chinese Studies and the Confucius Institute.
Grades are important; however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your qualifications.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Basic Chinese
- Intermediate Chinese
- Advanced Chinese
- Chinese Cinema and Politics
- Chinese Religion and Culture
- Chinese Stories of the Supernatural
- Classical Chinese
- History and Civilisation of Traditional China
- One-year placement in China
- What makes civilisation?
- Yangshend and Daoist Body Philosophy
Malaysian Academy of Han Studies - MAHS: (Foundation Certificate in Sinology)
- Mode of teaching: Online
- On-site Tutor Location: Malaysian Academy of Han Studies
- Tuition Fees: RM12,000
- An introduction to Classical Chinese Literature
- Ancient Chinese Morality: Ethical Business and Enterprise
- Ancient Chinese Morality and Ethical Living
- Classical Chinese
- Introduction to the Four Books
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fees for 2021/2022: £13,500
Graduates go on to careers in a variety of fields including:
- Communication, business
- Cultural and social advocacy
- Film and media
- Fundraising, management consultancy, research
- Health, food and lifestyle
- Human, animal and land rights
- International development, aid and charity organisations
- Museums, heritage, tourism
- Race relations, community, social work, caring professions
About this institute
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
UWTSD is the oldest University in Wales and was founded in 1822. It has campuses in rural and city locations in the UK. The University’s main campuses are situated in various locations in and around Swansea’s city centre as well...
Want to know more about Chinese Studies (BA)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Carson, United States of America