Automotive & Transport Design (MDes, BA)
Our Automotive & Transport Design courses will give you the opportunity to develop the technical and intellectual abilities and knowledge to undertake the design and development of new vehicles (cars and motorcycles, boats, trucks, public transport & transport systems.) based on a clear understanding of proportion, volume and surface design principles.
- Small student classes
- The Academic team consists of highly experienced Designers
- Live Design Projects
- State of the art facilities
- Industry contacts
- Chance to progress into a Master Degree Program
- Set by the sea in an area of outstanding natural beauty
Our Courses have been designed to facilitate the development of a designer through the replication of a professional environment, encouraging graduates to approach the design challenge in the same way as a professional automotive designer.
Our graduates will be able to generate ideas around engineering packages, set new trends in terms of design language and learn about proportions. Link a particular design to a brand, imagine the mobility of the future in the most efficient, sustainable and attractive way, design forms of transport with an ‘inside out’ approach and most importantly translate a drawing into reality.
We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to art and/or design and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. To assess student suitability for their chosen course we arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your portfolio of work.
Our standard offer for a degree course is 120 UCAS tariff points. We expect applicants to have a grade C or above in English Language (or Welsh) at GCSE level, together with passes in another four subjects. Plus we accept a range of Level 3 qualifications including:
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, plus one GCE A-Level in a relevant academic subject
- Three GCE A-Levels or equivalent
- BTEC Extended Diploma in a relevant subject, with minimum grades of Merit
- International Baccalaureate score of 32
- Other relevant qualifications can be considered on an individual basis
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Year 1 / Level 4 Modules
- Design Methods 1
- Design Methods 2
- 3D CAD Visualisation
- Creative Design Development
- Contextual Studies
- Materials & Manufacturing
First year modules are designed to encourage the development of core design skills, knowledge and experience required by industry:
- Design thinking – creative and analytical methods;
- Design sketching, rendering, prototyping and communication skills;
- Familiarity with a range of industry-standard digital design tools; and,
- Knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes
Year 2 / Level 5 Modules
- Professional Practice
- Group Design Practice
- Vehicle Technology
- Concept Studies
- Advanced Digital Visualisation
- Advanced Automotive Surfacing (Advanced 3D CAD for Transport Design)
Second year modules on the BA Automotive Design course are specifically designed to develop skills and experience in:
- Sustainable design strategies and tools;
- Visual and 3D development;
- Market research and brand ‘DNA’ analysis;
- User-centred design research methods;
- Advanced computer-aided 3D surface modelling and visualisation; and,
- Team working and professional practice.
Year 3 /Level 6 Modules
- Major Project: Design Realisation & Communication (60 credits)
- Major Project: Design Research & Manifesto
- Minor Project: Professional Promotion
Year 4 / Level 7 Modules
- The Design Experiment
- Creative Enterprise & Practice
- Research Methods & Communication
- Creative Venture
The fourth-year modules focus on the application and transfer of design thinking to real world engagement with an in depth project linked with an Industrial Partner.
The final year modules are designed to allow students to formulate their own individual career direction and aspirations as BA(Hons) Automotive Design graduates. Students select and manage their own Major and External projects with the support of the staff team so that they can demonstrate their core skills and experience and develop:
- Advanced knowledge of contemporary design research, thinking and practice in a specific industry sector;
- A personal design philosophy to underpin their current and future practice; and,
- Advanced awareness of the value of their intellectual and creative ability and a well-defined strategy for personal brand and career development
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fees for 2021/2022: £13,500
Graduates from our courses have found employment with some of the world’s most established names in manufacturing and design consultancy such as:
- Aston Martin
- Daimler Truck Usa
- Envisage Group
- Futura Design
- Gordon Murray Design
- Land Rover
- Mclaren Automotive
- Priestman Goode
- RDM Group
- Rolls Royce
Career opportunities available are:
- Clay Sculptors
- Designers (exteriors and interiors)
- Digital Sculptors
- Graphic Designers
- Hard modellers
- Product Designers
About this institute
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
UWTSD is the oldest University in Wales and was founded in 1822. It has campuses in rural and city locations in the UK. The University’s main campuses are situated in various locations in and around Swansea’s city centre as well...
Want to know more about Automotive & Transport Design (MDes, BA)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Summer / Short course