Master's programme in Jazz (Major Subject: Composition)
Specialise in jazz composition in an international degree program under the guidance of top professionals from Finland and abroad.
At the master’s degree stage, you can choose almost a third of your courses freely. In addition to instrument classes and ensemble playing, you may choose e.g. music business courses or pedagogical studies needed for working as a teacher. During your studies, you will also participate in different musical projects, master classes and social events.
You can also choose courses organised by the other two academies of the University and complete so-called joint studies that are available for all students.
In order to be admitted as a degree student to Uniarts Helsinki, applicants must have command of the language of instruction used in the program. Having sufficient language skills is, in principle, a requirement in order to be eligible to apply, and it ensures that the applicant has demonstrated educability and suitability for university-level education and has the communication skills needed as a student.
The academies determine the languages of instruction for each degree program. The languages are stated in the program’s admission criteria as well as the syllabus.
If a programme has several languages of instruction, applicants are only required to prove their proficiency in one of the languages.
Applicants must demonstrate their skills with a language certificate or prior studies. Language skills may also be assessed as part of entrance examinations.
A number of our study programs is offered in Finnish, Swedish, and English. This means that the student has the right to use any of these languages in teaching and study attainments, unless it is otherwise stated in the curriculum or the character of teaching makes it impossible. Please notice that most of our group instruction is held in Finnish or English.
These requirements are followed in our bachelor’s and master’s admissions, and in doctoral admissions where appropriate.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Jazz Composition, Instrumental Skills And Expression
- Jazz Composition
- Secondary Instruments
- Structural Awareness And Writing Of Music
- Pedagogical Skills
- Working Life Knowledge And Skills
- Proficiency Demonstration And Maturity Essay
- Maturity essay
Scholarships & funding
Uniarts Helsinki has a scholarship programme for students who are liable for payment in the form of tuition fee waivers.
For more information, please visit the university website.
The languages of instruction for this programme are English, Finnish and Swedish.
The tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students is €5000 per year.
Tuition fees at Uniarts Helsinki are only applicable to students who study in English and who are not citizens of the EU, EEA, or Switzerland.
Target degree - Master’s Degrees in Music
As a student, you will receive the necessary knowledge and skills in African-American music, music culture and performance practices to become a professional.
You will learn how to combine the form, harmony and melody of jazz music. Through your compositions and arrangements, you will come up with creative solutions for challenges concerning rhytmic jazz expression.
It is possible to complete a licentiate and a doctoral degree at the University as a third-cycle degree. After graduating with a master’s degree, you will have the option to apply for doctoral studies in music and specialise in research-oriented, artistic or applied doctoral studies.
Upon graduating you may take on demanding assignments as a musician, conductor / orchestra leader, composer / Arranger and Educator.
About this institute
University of the Arts Helsinki
The University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki) offers the highest education in fine arts, music, dance and theatre in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. Uniarts Helsinki’s wide selection of programs in the field of arts and productive dialogue between teaching...
Why study at University of the Arts Helsinki
- The University of the Arts is one of the leading performing arts universities in the world: Uniarts Helsinki’s Sibelius Academy has ranked among the top 15 universities in the QS World University Ranking for five consecutive years (2016–2020).
- We have unique facilities for creating arts with two campuses in Helsinki and a new building for fine arts being developed for 2021. We host over 1,000 public performances or exhibitions per year.
- At Uniarts Helsinki you can study in an inspiring environment where different disciplines of art influence each other. The academies of Uniarts Helsinki; Academy of Fine Arts, Theatre Academy and Sibelius Academy, have roots deep within the Finnish arts education and history of art. The predecessors of all three academies were founded in the 19th century although then they operated under slightly different names.
- The Academy of Fine Arts of Uniarts Helsinki is an international academy with a focus on fine arts. Students' personal aspirations and one-to-one guidance in teaching are at the heart of the academy.
- The Sibelius Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is one of the largest music academies in Europe. It is the cornerstone of the Finnish music culture through its expertise in teaching, research and artistic activities.
- The Theatre Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is a reformer of the performing arts and offer the highest education in theatre, dance and writing in Finland.
Want to know more about Master's Programme in Jazz (Major Subject: Composition)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...