Master's Program in Music TheoryUniversity of the Arts Helsinki
Master's Program in Music Theory
All available course dates
About this program
Master's Program in Music Theory
Gain the competence to work in expert duties requiring a profound knowledge of music.
Essential to music theory majors are skills in harmony and voice leading, music analysis and instrumentation, as well as instrument studies. During your Master's studies, you will deepen your understanding of music research and gain more knowledge of your personal research field.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The languages of instruction for this Program are English, Finnish and Swedish.
Annual tuition fee €5,000 for students studying in English and coming from outside the EU and EEA countries.
The Program aims to give you such extensive knowledge of music, music theory and practical composition or research skills that you will be able to work in positions that demand creative artistic skills, particularly musical expertise and pedagogical skills, after you graduate.
It is possible to complete a doctoral degree at the University as a third-cycle degree. After graduating as a master, you’ll have the option to apply for doctoral studies in music and specialise in research-oriented doctoral studies or applied doctoral studies.
At Sibelius Academy you can complete the Licentiate of Music (LMus) and Doctor of Music (DMus) degrees.
Graduates of the program work in demanding roles of music expert and music pedagogue, for example as teachers, journalists, researchers and musicians.
About this institute
University of the Arts Helsinki
The University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki) offers the highest education in fine arts, music, dance and theatre in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. Uniarts Helsinki’s wide selection of programs in the field of arts and productive dialogue between teaching...
Why study at University of the Arts Helsinki
- The University of the Arts is one of the leading performing arts universities in the world: Uniarts Helsinki’s Sibelius Academy has ranked among the top 26 universities in the QS World University Ranking for five consecutive years (2016–2023).
- We have unique facilities for creating arts with two campuses in Helsinki and a new building for fine arts which was opened in 2021. The facilities are in the use of the Academy of Fine Arts as well as students of light design, sound design, and design for the performing arts. We host over 1,000 public performances or exhibitions per year.
- At Uniarts Helsinki you can study in an inspiring environment where different disciplines of art influence each other. The academies of Uniarts Helsinki;Academy of Fine Arts, Theatre Academy and Sibelius Academy, have roots deep within the Finnish arts education and history of art. The predecessors of all three academies were founded in the 19th century although then they operated under slightly different names.
- The Academy of Fine Arts of Uniarts Helsinki is an international academy with a focus on fine arts. Students' personal aspirations and one-to-one guidance in teaching are at the heart of the academy.
- The Sibelius Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is one of the largest music academies in Europe. It is the cornerstone of the Finnish music culture through its expertise in teaching, research and artistic activities.
- The Theatre Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is a reformer of the performing arts and offer the highest education in theatre, dance and writing in Finland.
Be the first to write a review!