Master's Program in Classical Music Performance (Kantele)University of the Arts Helsinki
Master's Program in Classical Music Performance (Kantele)
All available course dates
About this program
Master's Program in Classical Music Performance (Kantele)
Study to become a top-level kantele professional of classical and contemporary music in the leading program in its field.
As a master's student, you will have the option to choose courses more freely, and you can also choose courses organised by the other two academies of the University. You can complement your degree by completing courses in jazz, folk music and early music, as well as in composition and arrangement.
In order to be admitted as a degree student to the Uniarts Helsinki, applicants must have command of the language of instruction used in the program. Having sufficient language skills is, in principle, a requirement in order to be eligible to apply, and it ensures that the applicant has demonstrated educability and suitability for university-level education and has the communication skills needed as a student.
The academies determine the languages of instruction for each degree program. The languages are stated in the program’s admission criteria as well as the syllabus.
If a Program has several languages of instruction, applicants are only required to prove their proficiency in one of the languages.
Applicants must demonstrate their skills with a language certificate or prior studies. Language skills may also be assessed as part of entrance examinations.
A number of our study programs is offered in Finnish, Swedish, and English. This means that the student has the right to use any of these languages in teaching and study attainments, unless it is otherwise stated in the curriculum or the character of teaching makes it impossible. Please notice that most of our group instruction is held in Finnish or English.
These requirements are followed in our bachelor’s and master's admissions, and in doctoral admissions where appropriate.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The languages of instruction for this program are English, Finnish and Swedish.
The tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students is €5000 per year.
Tuition fees at Uniarts Helsinki are only applicable to Non-EU and non-EEA students studying for a BA or a MA degree in English.
Content and Objective of the Program
The flexible curriculum caters to individual interests and aims at providing students with wide expertise and top-level mastery of the instrument. You will have the chance to grow into a professional with your own strong artistic vision.
The kantele major focuses on versatile soloist studies, spanning different eras and genres as well as the development of extensive pedagogical skills. In your studies, you will also learn more about chamber music, free accompaniment and improvisation, ergonomics when playing, as well as the history and modern state of kantele. The program gives you the opportunity to work with composers and composition students and learn about how to incorporate electric kantele and music technology in your music. You will also become acquainted with the structure and maintenance of kantele.
It is possible to complete a licentiate and a doctoral degree at the University as a third-cycle degree. After graduating with a masters degree, you will have the option to apply for doctoral studies in music and specialise in research-oriented, artistic or applied doctoral studies.
After graduating as a professional kantele player specialising in classical music, you can work as a soloist, chamber musician or kantele teacher, or alternatively in other jobs that require expertise in music and the arts.
Message the school
About this institute
University of the Arts Helsinki
The University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki) offers the highest education in fine arts, music, dance and theatre in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. Uniarts Helsinki’s wide selection of programs in the field of arts and productive dialogue between teaching...
Why study at University of the Arts Helsinki
- The University of the Arts is one of the leading performing arts universities in the world: Uniarts Helsinki’s Sibelius Academy has ranked among the top 22 universities in the QS World University Ranking for five consecutive years (2016–2022).
- We have unique facilities for creating arts with two campuses in Helsinki and a new building for fine arts which was opened in 2021. The facilities are in the use of the Academy of Fine Arts as well as students of light design, sound design, and design for the performing arts. We host over 1,000 public performances or exhibitions per year.
- At Uniarts Helsinki you can study in an inspiring environment where different disciplines of art influence each other. The academies of Uniarts Helsinki;Academy of Fine Arts, Theatre Academy and Sibelius Academy, have roots deep within the Finnish arts education and history of art. The predecessors of all three academies were founded in the 19th century although then they operated under slightly different names.
- The Academy of Fine Arts of Uniarts Helsinki is an international academy with a focus on fine arts. Students' personal aspirations and one-to-one guidance in teaching are at the heart of the academy.
- The Sibelius Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is one of the largest music academies in Europe. It is the cornerstone of the Finnish music culture through its expertise in teaching, research and artistic activities.
- The Theatre Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is a reformer of the performing arts and offer the highest education in theatre, dance and writing in Finland.
Want to know more about Master's Program in Classical Music Performance (Kantele)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!