Master's programme in Classical Music Performance (Piano Chamber Music and Lied)
In the leading Master’s programs in Piano Chamber Music and Lied, you will learn to work as a collaborative partner to a singer or a chamber music ensemble.
Major subject studies consist of courses in chamber music, lied and piano. The master's degree also includes studies in information searching and writing as well as studies of your own choosing. At the end of your master's studies, you will prepare a thesis project that consists of two concerts. One of these will be in chamber music, the other focused on lied. You will also prepare the texts for the programs of these concerts.
You can also choose courses organised by the other two academies of the University and complete so-called joint studies that are available for all students.
In order to be admitted as a degree student to Uniarts Helsinki, applicants must have command of the language of instruction used in the program. Having sufficient language skills is, in principle, a requirement in order to be eligible to apply, and it ensures that the applicant has demonstrated educability and suitability for university-level education and has the communication skills needed as a student.
The academies determine the languages of instruction for each degree program. The languages are stated in the program’s admission criteria as well as the syllabus.
If a programme has several languages of instruction, applicants are only required to prove their proficiency in one of the languages.
Applicants must demonstrate their skills with a language certificate or prior studies. Language skills may also be assessed as part of entrance examinations.
A number of our study programs is offered in Finnish, Swedish, and English. This means that the student has the right to use any of these languages in teaching and study attainments, unless it is otherwise stated in the curriculum or the character of teaching makes it impossible. Please notice that most of our group instruction is held in Finnish or English.
These requirements are followed in our bachelor’s and master’s admissions, and in doctoral admissions where appropriate.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Instrument and ensemble skills
- Chamber music
- Supervised Collaborate piano
- Orchestral instrument and piano repertoire and ensemble workshop
- Optional studies
- Proficiency demonstration and maturity essay
- Maturity essay
- General music skills and communication skills
- Advanced structural awareness of music
- Career and study skills
- Studies determined by the department
Scholarships & funding
Uniarts Helsinki has a scholarship programme for students who are liable for payment in the form of tuition fee waivers.
For more information, please visit the university website.
The languages of instruction for this programme are English, Finnish and Swedish.
The tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students is €5000 per year.
Tuition fees at Uniarts Helsinki are only applicable to students who study in English and who are not citizens of the EU, EEA, or Switzerland.
Target degree - Master’s Degrees in Music
As a pianist specialized in lied and chamber music, you are adept at demanding piano-playing techniques and familiar with the most important Styles of Western piano music. Having completed your degree, you may begin working as a professional chamber musician and lied pianist, with the capacity of also functioning as a solo pianist if need be.
After completing the masters program, you will be adept at demanding piano-playing techniques and familiar with the most important styles of Western piano music.
It is possible to complete a licentiate and a doctoral degree at the University as a third-cycle degree. After graduating with a masters degree, you will have the option to apply for doctoral studies in music and specialise in research-oriented, artistic or applied doctoral studies.
you may begin working as professional chamber musician and lied pianist, with the ability to also perform as a solo pianist.
About this institute
University of the Arts Helsinki
The University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki) offers the highest education in fine arts, music, dance and theatre in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. Uniarts Helsinki’s wide selection of programs in the field of arts and productive dialogue between teaching...
Why study at University of the Arts Helsinki
- The University of the Arts is one of the leading performing arts universities in the world: Uniarts Helsinki’s Sibelius Academy has ranked among the top 15 universities in the QS World University Ranking for five consecutive years (2016–2020).
- We have unique facilities for creating arts with two campuses in Helsinki and a new building for fine arts being developed for 2021. We host over 1,000 public performances or exhibitions per year.
- At Uniarts Helsinki you can study in an inspiring environment where different disciplines of art influence each other. The academies of Uniarts Helsinki; Academy of Fine Arts, Theatre Academy and Sibelius Academy, have roots deep within the Finnish arts education and history of art. The predecessors of all three academies were founded in the 19th century although then they operated under slightly different names.
- The Academy of Fine Arts of Uniarts Helsinki is an international academy with a focus on fine arts. Students' personal aspirations and one-to-one guidance in teaching are at the heart of the academy.
- The Sibelius Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is one of the largest music academies in Europe. It is the cornerstone of the Finnish music culture through its expertise in teaching, research and artistic activities.
- The Theatre Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is a reformer of the performing arts and offer the highest education in theatre, dance and writing in Finland.
Want to know more about Master’s Programme in Classical Music Performance (Piano Chamber Music and Lied)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...