Degree Program in Global Music
This 5.5 year Program leads to a Bachelor's and a Master's degree.
Immerse yourself in a culturally and musically diverse environment to develop into a multi-skilled, flexible, visionary musician and pedagogue with world-class teachers.
Join us as a student at one of the leading performing arts universities in the world. As a Global Music student, you will deepen your own artistic identity and develop the ability to perform, communicate, collaborate, create, facilitate, research and lead in a wide range of musical, cultural and socially engaged contexts.
In order to be admitted as a degree student to the Uniarts Helsinki, applicants must have command of the language of instruction used in the Program. Having sufficient language skills is, in principle, a requirement in order to be eligible to apply, and it ensures that the applicant has demonstrated educability and suitability for university-level education and has the communication skills needed as a student.
The academies determine the languages of instruction for each degree Program. The languages are stated in the Program’s admission criteria as well as the syllabus.
If a Program has several languages of instruction, applicants are only required to prove their proficiency in one of the languages. If a degree Program or e.g. joint Program requires the demand of several languages, applicants may be required to demonstrate their language skills in several languages.
Applicants must demonstrate their skills with a language certificate or prior studies. Language skills may also be assessed as part of entrance examinations.
A number of our study Programs is offered in Finnish, Swedish, and English. This means that the student has the right to use any of these languages in teaching and study attainments, unless it is otherwise stated in the curriculum or the character of teaching makes it impossible. Please notice that most of our group instruction is held in Finnish or English.
These requirements are followed in our bachelor’s and master’s admissions, and in doctoral admissions where appropriate.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Global Music, Bachelor of Music
- Global Musicianship and Transcultural Collaboration
- Ensemble Studies
- Global Orchestra
- Global Choir
- Global Pedagogy and Community Engagement
- Instrumental Skills and Artistic Identity
- Cultural Diversity, Music Research and Leadership
- Demonstration of Proficiency and Maturity essay
- Global Music Bachelor Project Seminar
- Student must select one of the pathways
- Maturity essay
- Language studies
- Foreign Language
- Second official language / Andra inhemska språket
- Written communication
For more information, please check the course webpage.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students is €5000 per year.
Tuition fees at Uniarts Helsinki are only applicable to Non-EU and non-EEA students studying for a BA or a MA degree in English.
You will learn about themes that are central to a professional global musician, including artistic identity, intercultural collaboration, multidisciplinary approaches, global musicianship, music creation, improvisation, rhythmics, global pedagogy, entrepreneurship, global choir, experimental instrument making, practice based research and community engagement.
It is possible to complete a licentiate and a doctoral degree at the University as a third-cycle degree. After graduating with a master degree, you will have the option to apply for doctoral studies in music and specialise in research-oriented, artistic or applied doctoral studies
About this institute
University of the Arts Helsinki
The University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki) offers the highest education in fine arts, music, dance and theatre in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. Uniarts Helsinki’s wide selection of programs in the field of arts and productive dialogue between teaching...
Why study at University of the Arts Helsinki
- The University of the Arts is one of the leading performing arts universities in the world: Uniarts Helsinki’s Sibelius Academy has ranked among the top 15 universities in the QS World University Ranking for five consecutive years (2016–2020).
- We have unique facilities for creating arts with two campuses in Helsinki and a new building for fine arts being developed for 2021. We host over 1,000 public performances or exhibitions per year.
- At Uniarts Helsinki you can study in an inspiring environment where different disciplines of art influence each other. The academies of Uniarts Helsinki; Academy of Fine Arts, Theatre Academy and Sibelius Academy, have roots deep within the Finnish arts education and history of art. The predecessors of all three academies were founded in the 19th century although then they operated under slightly different names.
- The Academy of Fine Arts of Uniarts Helsinki is an international academy with a focus on fine arts. Students' personal aspirations and one-to-one guidance in teaching are at the heart of the academy.
- The Sibelius Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is one of the largest music academies in Europe. It is the cornerstone of the Finnish music culture through its expertise in teaching, research and artistic activities.
- The Theatre Academy of Uniarts Helsinki is a reformer of the performing arts and offer the highest education in theatre, dance and writing in Finland.
Want to know more about Degree Program in Global Music? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Knoxville, United States of America
Alliance, United States of America
Cedar City, United States of America
Cedar City, United States of America