Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of ScienceUniversity of Tasmania
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science
The 4-year full-time combined degree of Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science is offered on the Hobart and Launceston campuses by the College of Arts, Law & Education and the College of Sciences and Engineering. A limited first year is offered at the North-West Centre. Some units are available off-campus (i.e. distance). In addition, some units are offered to students commencing in July.
These course rules and specifications apply to students commencing the course from 2018. For students who commenced prior to 2018, please refer to Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science (13M).
Students who wish to combine scientific knowledge with a liberal education will be attracted to this degree. Unique discipline combinations are possible; for example, majors in Politics & Policy and Asian Studies combined with a major in Information & Communication Technologies and Mathematics; or majors in Chinese and International Relations with Geology and Geography. Students' programs can be tailored to meet the needs of an ever-changing world.
They will acquire knowledge and skills through a wide range of discipline choice.
The program develops general abilities in the following areas:
- Written expression
- Linguistic skills
- Creative self-expression
- Capacity to analyse and interpret in a dispassionate and objective manner capacity for reasoned criticism
- Data acquisition and analysis
- Research techniques
- Marshalling facts in support of arguments
- Evaluating the possible outcomes of alternative courses of action, with the emphasis varying according to the particular program chosen.
English Language Requirements
International applicants will be required to provide evidence of their English language ability.
For those applicants who are nationals of and currently residing in a country where English is NOT the official language, evidence of an approved English language test completed within the last two years must be provided.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Bachelor of Science Component
- Data Handling and Statistics 1
- The Sciences and Society
- Effective Speaking
- Data Handling and Statistics 2
Bachelor of Arts Components
- Ancient Civilisations
- Ancient Languages
- Creative Arts and HealthCriminology
- Gender Studies
- Geography and Environment
- HistoryInternational relations
- Legal Studies
- Politics and Policy
- Psychological Science
- Theatre and Performance
- Aboriginal Studies
- Applied Psychology
- Asian Studies
- Creative Writing
- Fine Arts
- Journalism, Media and Communications
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science (AQF Level 7) graduates will be able to:
- Acquire, consolidate, critically evaluate, reflect and synthesise advanced knowledge in one of the humanities and social sciences disciplines and in one of the science disciplines.
- Demonstrate critical thinking by identifying, defining and solving problems with intellectual independence.
- Make evidence based decisions that take account of diverse contexts and constraints impacting on societies and environments.
- Communicate information effectively in written, visual and oral forms with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Work effectively, responsibly, respectfully and safely in individual and/or team contexts.
- Demonstrate self-management, flexibility, initiative and resilience in readiness for diverse workplace demands.
About this institute
University of Tasmania
Tasmania is a place unlike any other. Our island is a living laboratory where environment, industry and society are uniquely connected. With 45% of the island being National Park or World Heritage listed it is a stunning place to get...
Why study at University of Tasmania
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Tasmania is unique and so are Tasmanians. We believe in our island. We embrace the unusual. And we love imagination.
From our vibrant cities to the stillness of our World Heritage-listed wilderness, our incredible island is a place of contrasts – and we embrace its character in everything we do.
We offer great courses in an extraordinary location, and our teaching is supported by world-leading research, so you know you’re getting direct access to the best expertise. We’re the only university in the state, which means you will get unparalleled access to industry connections through our institution’s partnerships.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Campbellsville, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America