Translation and Interpreting Studies MresUniversity of Surrey
Translation and Interpreting Studies MRes
By studying MRes Translation and Interpreting Studies at Surrey, you’ll join our internationally recognised Centre for Translation Studies. We combine leading research expertise with professional relevance, providing you with the skills to thrive in either academia or in industry.
You’ll explore modules on translation and interpreting research, challenge assumptions in stimulating debates, and discuss current ideas and research with your peers, our doctoral students and teaching staff.
Our range of optional modules will also let you specialise in your own area of interest, while also developing your analytical skills. You’ll take on evidence-based, interdisciplinary research relevant to the world today, giving you a competitive edge as you enter the workplace or pursue further study.
Chat live with students from University of Surrey
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Surrey? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Tuition fee UK students: £7,900
- Tuition fee Overseas students: £18,600
- Tuition fee UK students: £4,000
- Tuition fee Overseas students: £9,300
Credits and ECTS Credits: 180 credits and 90 ECTS credits
- A thorough understanding of theoretical issues relevant to translation
- A thorough understanding of issues relevant to translation as a discipline and/or as a practice/industry
- Broad knowledge of the principles underpinning the design and implementation of research projects in translation, translations and translating
- Broad knowledge of the main principles which underpin the spectrum of translation and transfer practices and their interrelations
- Broad knowledge of the broader socio-cultural context of translation and its practices and of overarching issues in the translation industry, such as the impact of technology and the need for adaptability in the context of different markets
- Formulate and address research questions relating to the field of study
- Create and carry out a project in the field of translation studies of significant complexity and originality
- Reflect upon the knowledge gained and incorporate this into independent learning strategies
- Critically appreciate and evaluate the different frames for analysing translation, translations and translating and apply this to the research work required for the
- writing of the MA dissertation
- Conduct conceptual research related to specific tasks
- Monitor and evaluate appropriate strategies for effective translation
- Effectively identify and source relevant information for specific translation-related purposes using library and IT skills
- Apply concepts acquired to new contexts and situations in a flexible and well-motivated way in order to produce a plan, report, critical review or other artefacts
- Work independently on extended pieces of work in a sustained way, with or without guidance, and have further improved research skills
- Apply evaluation skills to authentic, translated products for research and/or translation critique purposes
- Display competence in a range of skills at postgraduate level, including advanced analysis and synthesis of arguments, presentation, conducting independent research, and the speedy and efficient processing of complex information
- Work both independently and with others in order to achieve common goals, knowing how to comply with instructions, deadlines, commitments, interpersonal competences, and teamwork
- Manage learning self-critically, knowing how to self-evaluate (questioning one's habits and being open to innovations
- Organise and manage a research project of significant complexity, knowing how to plan and manage one's time and stress
About this institute
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and empower our students for personal and...
Want to know more about Translation and Interpreting Studies Mres? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
St Andrews, Scotland