Stage and Production Management MAUniversity of Surrey
Stage and Production Management MA
All available course dates
Stage and Production Management MA
On our practice-based Stage and Production Management MA course, you’ll work closely with fellow GSA students to deliver stellar productions.
Through intensive seminars and workshops, you’ll be introduced to stage management and technical disciplines and begin your professional development planning.
You’ll then work on a wide variety of production projects across performance spaces within the University and at external venues. There will also be opportunities to take on senior production-critical roles as deputy stage manager, stage manager or production manager on our public productions, under the guidance of our experienced and industry-connected staff.
You’ll also have the chance to complete an industry placement and your professional development planning will culminate in presenting your work through a graduate showcase event.
A minimum of a 2:2 UK honours degree, or a recognised equivalent international qualification.
Applicants also require evidence of previous engagement with theatre and performance or the wider entertainment industry. To be assessed via application documents (CV, personal statement) and interview.
Applicants who can demonstrate an extensive amount of previous experience in theatre and performance or the wider entertainment industry and can satisfy the interview panel of their ability to complete the course may also be considered.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall with 6.0 in each element.
If you do not currently meet the level required for your programs, we offer intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Stage and Production Management
- Production 2/Placement
- Production and Project Management
- Professional Development
- Professional Portfolio
- Technical Skills & Stagecraft
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Tuition fee UK/EU students: £10,300
- Tuition fee Overseas students: £18,000
- Tuition fee UK students: £10,600
- Tuition fee Overseas students: £18,600
Credits and ECTS Credits: 180 credits and 90 ECTS credits
- An experiential and theoretical knowledge of key practical stage and production management methodologies
- A comprehensive understanding of current industry practice
- An advanced understanding of the application of stage and production management skills to professional practice in the entertainment industry.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of theatre and entertainment genres and contexts
- Knowledge of entertainment industry structures and systems both in the UK and globally
- An ability to critically analyse and reflect on their own and others¿ practice
- Develop and articulate a personal methodology of reflective practice
- An ability to source, evaluate and synsethize information to complete independent research
- Evaluate and analyse complex ideas and challenges in order to find appropriate creative solutions.
- Display an advanced awareness of the skills and processes of production, design and rehearsal by which performance is created, and gain experience of their realisation and presentation in performance
- Apply current industry practice in stage management for the entertainment industry
- Apply current industry practice in production management for the entertainment industry
- Develop a range of technical and procedural skills in support of management practices
- Communicate effectively at an advanced level in both verbal and written form
- Lead and manage a team to successfully deliver a production project
- Demonstrate an advanced level of ability in time and resource management
- Support and facilitate creative processes
- Present as a self-motivated and professional practitioner
Most graduates move on to freelance careers in the theatre and entertainment industry, as stage or production managers. Recent employers include:
- New Adventures
- Watermill Theatre
- Royal Caribbean Cruises
- Balich Worldwide Events
- Shanghai Opera
- Guildford Shakespeare Company.
About this institute
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and empower our students for personal and...
Want to know more about Stage and Production Management MA? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...