Music MMusUniversity of Surrey
On this course you will learn the creative, re-creative, technical, critical, vocational and academic areas of contemporary music practice.
You will study a range of interlinked practices including performance, composition, musicology and relevant skills in music technology. You will be able to specialise in any or several of these areas in order to prepare you for a future career in music and also provide a foundation for PhD study.
You will learn about the current developments within the contemporary theory and practice of music, so that you can work confidently and constructively within the musical culture of the present.
If you’re looking to progress onto a PhD research project after you graduate, this course will help to prepare you for doctoral level study in music-related areas.
A minimum of a 2:1 undergraduate degree in a relevant subject. Real-world experience is also considered.
Applicants are required to submit a portfolio of relevant work. The MMus (Music)course supports a range of musical practice and musicology, so applicants should include in the portfolio, where relevant to specialisms and interests, any number of the following:
- If pursuing performance, a sample of 2-5 unedited video performances
- If pursuing composition, a portfolio of original compositions with scores and audio
- A sample of theoretical writing and/or analyses
- Any additional practice, such as electronic productions, mixed media work, film scores and arrangements.
English language requirements
- IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall with 6.0 in each element.
If you do not currently meet the level required for your programs, intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Music MMus (Full time/Part time)
- Composition A
- Compositional Programming A
- Music Project A
- Performance A
- Research Training for Practitioners A
- Studio Techniques
- Topic Study A
- Composition B
- Compositional Programming B
- Digital Improvisation 2
- Master’s Portfolio
- Modernism and Postmodernism
- Music Project B
- Research Training for Practitioners B
- Screen Music Studies
- Topic Study B
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Tuition fee for UK students: £8,500
- Tuition fee for Overseas students: £18,600
- Tuition fee for UK students: £4,300
- Tuition fee for Overseas students: £9,300
Credits and ECTS Credits: 180 credits and 90 ECTS credits.
Programme learning outcomes
- Research methods and resources and how these may be used to interpret knowledge.
- Interdisciplinarity within music and arts research.
- The broad range of approaches to the present day theory and practice of music to the level necessary for their original application.
- Frame research questions.
- Critically assess, respond to and operate in current areas of musical research and practice.
- Reflect critically on and contextualise personal practice.
- Produce stylistically original and technically professional compositions.
- Communicate subject knowledge clearly.
- Self-direction and autonomy.
- Originality in problem solving.
- Work in and manage groups.
- Efficient time management.
About this institute
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and empower our students for personal and...
Want to know more about Music MMus? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Cedar City, United States of America