Corporate Environmental Management MScUniversity of Surrey
Corporate Environmental Management MSc
All available course dates
Corporate Environmental Management MSc
Corporations are constantly making choices about their products and services which have significant environmental implications. Corporate environmental managers are needed to help ensure organisations minimise their environmental impact and actively work towards a global sustainable future.
Our MSc in Corporate Environmental Management is run by the Centre for Environment and Sustainability (CES), a leading centre for environmental and sustainability-related research and postgraduate teaching. CES is an inter-disciplinary research and teaching centre seeking to resolve environmental sustainability problems within corporations.
This course prepares future environmental and sustainability professionals for the challenges being faced by the corporate world.
From carbon footprints to the design of revolutionary environmentally friendly products, our MSc covers all aspects of managing environmental and sustainability strategy in organisations.
We’ll provide you with a solid understanding of issues crucial to the sustainable development debate. You’ll also consider the views of stakeholders such as business groups, environmentalists, government agencies and development institutions.
You’ll evaluate existing frameworks, inquire into environmental issues in organisations and industries, and develop sensitive business practices, preparing you for any corporate-focused environmental career.
Some exciting organisations participating in our course include: the NHS, Marks & Spencer, Rolls-Royce, HP, Sony, Aviva Investors and Telefonica.
This MSc provides a route to the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment graduate membership.
A minimum of a 2:2 UK honours degree, or a recognised equivalent international qualification.
Relevant work experience may also be considered.
English language requirements
- IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall with 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in each other element.
If you do not currently meet the level required for your program, offer intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Corporate Environmental Management MSc (Full time/Part time)
- Corporate, Social and Environmental Responsibility
- Environmental Science and Society
- Foundations of Sustainable Development
- Life Cycle Thinking and The Circular Economy
- Sustainable Development Applications
- Ecological Economics
- Environmental Auditing and Management Systems
- Environmental Law
- Internship: Industrial Placement
- Life Cycle Assessment
- Transitions to A Low Carbon Economy
- Dissertation (CES)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
This course is normally completed in 12 months on a full-time basis, or between 24 and 60 months when completed on a part-time basis.
Both full-time and part-time students must complete five compulsory modules and four elective modules by the end of their MSc. The dissertation forms one of the compulsory modules.
Full-time students can start this MSc programs at the beginning of either the first semester in September or the second semester in February. Part-time students can start any time. The academic year begins with induction week when students are introduced to the University and full-time students choose their elective modules. Part-time students can enrol in modules close to the time they wish to take a module.
Full-time - 1 year
- For UK/EU students: £10,300
- For Overseas students: £21,000
Full-time - 1 year
- Tuition fee for UK students: £10,600
- Tuition fee for Overseas students: £21,700
Part-time - 5 years
- Tuition fee for UK students: £1,200
- Tuition fee for Overseas students: £2,400
Credits and ECTS Credits: 180 credits and 90 ECTS credits
- Intra and inter-organisational contexts in which corporate environmental strategies are developed
- Concepts of sustainable development and their usefulness to business ethics
- Evolving regulatory and policy framework as part of engendering an anticipatory view of environmental management
- knowledge of a range of corporate environmental management strategies and control mechanisms
- Accessing and using environmental data
- Absorb complex environmental information and communicate them effectively through logically constructed arguments
- Creatively formulate new ideas
- Learn the value of teamwork to solve problems that require multi-disciplinary engagement
- Independent learning and study through self-directed assignments and dissertation
- Critical reading and analysis of environmental policy and regulation
- Inductive reasoning: using specific examples/observations and forming a more general principal
- Deductive reasoning: use stated general premise to reason about specific examples
- Comprehend how corporations build, implement and maintain an Environmental Management System (EMS)
- To perform an EMS Audit according to the ISO standards
- Give coherent presentations
- Lead discussions on complex subject areas
- See the other side of the argument given that there are varying and often conflicting perspectives in the environment field
- Competently handle environment information
- Self-motivation, self-regulation and self-assurance
- Acquire knowledge and skills to prepare and deliver a structured and successful presentation
- Write effectively as a means of communicating important ideas
- communication of findings and presentation of research to a non-specialist audience
- Lead discussion of small/large groups
- Organise and manage a research project
- Basic to advanced IT skills, depending on type of electives and dissertation topic
Graduates of this course go on to pursue a diverse range of careers. You’ll help to implement sustainable development and deal with the real environmental challenges facing humanity.
You could go on to work as an energy efficiency officer for a local government, an environmental officer in a multinational chemical company, or a sustainability adviser for a national television or radio station.
Equally, you could become an environmental consultant for an engineering consultancy, or a program officer with a sustainability charity.
About this institute
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and empower our students for personal and...
Want to know more about Corporate Environmental Management MSc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Potsdam, United States of America
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates