Biosciences and Medicine PhD
Our School of Biosciences and Medicine is home to a first-class research community and has well-established connections with industry and clinical practice.
Research within the School fully embraces the ‘bench to bedside’ concept, ranging from molecular and computational studies through to clinical trials. We have a strong interdisciplinary set of research sections and centres which interact with each other, other parts of the University, and with external collaborators.
Our research is truly international, with Surrey academics and students coming from around the globe. Many ongoing research projects involve active collaborations with international researchers and institutions.
The University is home to a Doctoral College and a vibrant researcher development programme that supports postgraduate research students and other research trainees. We also have careers advisers dedicated to the support of postgraduate research students and research trainees.
Applicants are expected to hold a good honours degree (upper second) in an appropriate discipline, but prior experience in research or industry may be acceptable. Enthusiasm for, and commitment to, independent study is essential.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic: 6.5 or above (or equivalent) with 6 in each individual category.
View the other English language qualifications that we accept.
If you do not currently meet the level required for your programme, we offer intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies here. The University of Surrey is also an IELTS test centre.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The biological and medical sciences form an extremely fast-paced area of research that is becoming increasingly relevant in modern society. Our School’s areas of research expertise include:
- Cardiovascular sciences. Strengths include: blood coagulation, cardiac cell signalling pathways, gene therapy, role of cardiac fibroblasts, tissue engineering.
- Immunology. Strengths include: B cell development and function, macrophage function, peroxisomal function in the immune system, T cell function in ageing.
- Medicine. Strengths include: cancer, critical care, diabetes, primary care and clinical informatics, laparoscopic surgery.
- Microbiology. Strengths include: computational modelling and systems biology, mechanisms controlling gene regulation through protein translation, molecular and metabolic network analysis, neglected and emerging tropical diseases, bacteria and virus-host interactions.
- Nutrition and food science. Strengths include: metabolic physiology, diabetes, vitamin D, selenium and other micronutrients.
- Sleep and biological rhythms. World class expertise in human, animal, cellular and molecular approaches to this interdisciplinary area.
- Sports and exercise science. This is a new research area that benefits from use of the state-of-the-art Human Performance Institute in the new £36m Surrey Sports Park.
For more information Visit University Website.
The price for UK/EU fees is 4327 GBP.
The price for Overseas fees is 21400 GBP.
About this institute
The University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and empower our students for personal and...
Want to know more about Biosciences and Medicine PhD? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.