Advanced Clinical Practice MSc
If you're aiming to take on more responsibility as practitioner, want to enhance the capabilities of multidisciplinary healthcare teams, and work towards the constant improvement of patient care, then our MSc Advanced Clinical Practice course is for you.
Supported by our qualified staff, we'll transform you into an advanced practitioner, with enhanced self-direction and excellent problem-solving abilities, preparing you for advanced practice roles in modern healthcare.
On successful completion of this course, you’ll meet the requirements of the multi-professional framework for advanced clinical practice in England (HEE, NHSi, NHS England, 2017). You can also register your V300 independent and supplementary prescriber qualification with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) or the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), allowing you to prescribe any medicine, within national and local guidelines, for any condition within your area of expertise and competence.
Throughout the course, you’ll develop your leadership skills and your knowledge of contemporary policy, healthcare, and the theoretical perspectives on clinical practice. You’ll also develop the ability to tackle complex issues and use your initiative, applying your judgement to important clinical decisions, when complete data is absent. You’ll explore and analyse key leadership issues in health and social care practice, while challenging and debating contemporary theory and practice.
You’ll study our V300 independent and supplementary prescribing module, to improve patients’ access to appropriate medication, in a timely manner. You’ll gain the skills and knowledge to prescribe safely and appropriately within your area of practice, and in line with current non-medical independent and supplementary prescribing legislation.
You’ll study topics, including advanced medicines management, supporting education in practice, and transforming services for quality.
Chat live with students from University of Surrey
Do you want to know what it's like to study at University of Surrey? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
A minimum of a 2:2 in a relevant UK honours degree, or a recognised equivalent international qualification. You must be currently registered as a healthcare professional to apply. We'll also ask you to attend an interview.
English language requirements
- IELTS Academic: 7.0 overall with 6.5 in each element.
If you do not currently meet the level required for your program, offer intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Unstructured (2-5 Years)
- Supporting Education in Practice
- Transforming Services for Quality
- Advanced Assessment & Clinical Reasoning
- Strategic Leadership for Healthcare
- Advanced Medicines Management
- Application of Decision Making
- Independent/Supplementary Prescribing (NMC/HCPC V300)
- Research Design and Methodology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
This course can take between two to five years to complete. This is dependent on how many modules you select to study at a given time.
Credits and ECTS Credits: 180 credits and 90 ECTS credits
- Explore the theoretical models, theories and frameworks that underpin decision making in practice
- Consider strategies that will enhance the quality of clinical practice
- Analyse and evaluate strategies to enhance clinical practice
- Critically explore the effectiveness of approaches to clinical practice through the synthesis of innovative approaches
- Be cognisant of the complexities of clinical practice in healthcare
- Evaluate and utilise theories, models and frameworks of decision making to enhance clinical practice
- Appraise and apply theories of leadership and change management to enhance clinical practice
- Adopt a critical reflexive stance towards their own practice and its development
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, through effective team work, to ensure the delivery of high quality clinical care
- Become autonomous, utilising professionalism to all aspects of their role whilst effectively communicating and working in partnership with colleagues from a range of disciplines to explore issues in effective clinical practice
- Explore in depth the conceptual models, theories and frameworks that support the provision of advanced clinical practice
- Develop and be able to articulate a rational framework of values and beliefs, which underpin their practice
- Critically explore, assess and evaluate evidence, cases and situations in practice to allow a high level of decision making and clinical judgement
- Utilise critical thinking and problem solving skills in the demonstration of complex decision making
- Demonstrate high levels of autonomous practice in complex decision making in an extended scope of practice role
- Evaluate links between theory and practice to explore strategies relevant for the facilitation and assessment of learning within the work place
- Critically evaluate their own and other¿s practice, in order to ensure that practice is of a high standard and evidence based
- Design and undertake an investigation of a systematically identified learning and teaching concept using appropriate theoretical and methodological frameworks
- Critically explore and reflect on theories of learning, teaching, assessment and accountability relevant to practice
- Initiate change and practice development, engaging with others to facilitate the professional advancement of self and others
- Demonstrate originality in the application of knowledge of research methodology in order to create and interpret knowledge in advanced clinical practic.
We’ll prepare you to take the next step in your career as an advanced practitioner who has additional responsibilities within the healthcare sector. Our graduates typically take on more senior roles within the NHS or in private healthcare.
About this institute
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and empower our students for personal and...
Want to know more about Advanced Clinical Practice MSc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...