BSc (Hons) Biological SciencesUniversity of Suffolk
BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences
All available course dates
About this program
Bsc (Hons) Biological Sciences
The BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences degree at the University of Suffolk is now accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, the leading professional body for the biological sciences in the United Kingdom.
This program has been accredited by the Royal Society of Biology following an independent and rigorous assessment. Accredited degree programs contain a solid academic foundation in biological knowledge and key skills, and prepare graduates to address the needs of employers.
The accreditation criteria require evidence that graduates from accredited programs meet defined sets of learning outcomes, including subject knowledge, technical ability and transferable skills.
This course is a well-rounded program in the field of biological sciences; The course contains a number of options across the years that allow you to select pathways and specialisms matched to your interest and career aspirations. We have built “streams” into the degree course.
The Blue stream is a collection of optional modules that are characterised by human biology and lead to potential careers in human based biology such as medical research, pharmacology, regenerative medicine and clinical sciences.
And the Green stream is a collection of optional modules that are characterised by animal and plant biology and lead to potential careers in biological aspects of global climate change, sustainability, biotechnology and Agri-Tech.
During your studies, you have the option to include a professional placement year UCAS code C762.
You can opt to include a professional placement year during your course. This would mean your course length would change from three years full-time to four years full-time.
The professional placement year will give you the opportunity to gain professional experience and relevant practical skills to enhance your prospects of securing graduate employment.
112UCAS tariff points (or above),BBC (A-Level), DMM (BTEC)
Applicants are expected to hold A-level Biology or a Science related subject at Grade C or above.
Please note PE and Sports Science do not count as science A levels, and general studies will not be considered.
Applicants must also have a minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4/C or above including English, Maths and Science. Applicants who do not hold these qualifications may be considered on an individual basis based upon their overall application and the course applied for.
IELTS 6.0 overall (minimum 5.5 in all components) where English is not the students' first language.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Cell Biology
- Introduction to the Genome
- Scientific Skills
- Diversity of Life
- Ecology and Ecosystems (Animal & Plant Biology - Green Stream)
- Data Analysis and Statistics
- Research Methods and Scientific Communication
- Microbial Organisms
- Molecular Biotechnology
- Biology of Disease (Human Biology - Blue Stream)
- Immunology (Human Biology - Blue Stream)
- Marine and Fresh Water Biology (Animal & Plant Biology - Green Stream)
- Plant Biology (Animal & Plant Biology - Green Stream)
- Professional Development for the Life Sciences
- Developmental Biology
- Regenerative Medicine (Human Biology - Blue Stream)
- Pharmacology and Toxicology (Human Biology - Blue Stream)
- Ecotoxicology (Animal & Plant Biology - Green Stream)
- Evolution, adaptive and conservation physiology (Animal & Plant Biology - Green Stream)
Scholarships & funding
- Vice Chancellor's Global Impact Scholarship: £4,000
- International Merit Scholarship: £1000-2,000
- Suffolk Executive MBA Scholarship: £4,000
- Full-time Tuition Fees: £9,250 p.a.
- Part-time Tuition Fees: £1,454 per 20 credit module (Please contact the Info zone for further information).
- International / EU Tuition Fees: £14,598 per year
- Accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, the leading professional body for the biological sciences in the United Kingdom.
- Explore cutting edge developments such as stem cellbiology and regenerative medicine.
- Benefit from close working relationships with a highly qualified and research-active international teaching team.
- Graduates will be equipped with solid knowledge of theoretical principles and wide range of practical skills sought by employers.
- Develop a wide range of soft skills, which can be implemented not only in further study but also ina range of careers.
Our graduates will be well placed to secure jobs as researchers working in universities, pharmaceutical and bioscience companies and institutes. Some graduates may progress into laboratory-based careers in clinical or technical roles which do not involve research, for example within NHS setting.
The transferable skills developed during the course will equip graduates for a wide range of careers outside the laboratory such as within scientific publication, quality control, scientific advisory bodies and scientific sales.
Additionally, the course prepares students for higher level study such as PGCE (e.g. science teacher training), Masters degree or PhD
Message the school
About this institute
University of Suffolk
The University of Suffolk is a transformational university. Being one of the newest in the UK, the University of Suffolk is not restricted by tradition and embraces change, to produce graduates who can easily adapt to a changing world. Taking...
Why study at University of Suffolk
We're confident you would quickly feel at home on our beautiful waterfront campus along the famous sunshine coast of Suffolk. Our campus is stylish, modern and compact, surrounded by restaurants, bars, clubs, cinemas, as well as historic and cultural hotspots. Established in 2016, we are one of the newest universities in the country, which enables us to be dynamic and forward thinking in our approach. Our students are at the heart of everything we do, and we pride ourselves on consistently featuring within the top 10 for 'student experience' polls. Our students are taught by expert academics and industry professionals rather than graduate teachers, which is common practice in many universities. Teaching typically takes place in small classes and is supplemented by all the contact time and personal support you need.
- Choose from over 200 Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes recognised all over the world
- Live in a multi-cultural student town, located only 1 hour 20 minutes away from London by train
- Enjoy living and studying on a small yet functional campus, where class sizes are purposely designed to ensure your academic experience is intimate and personal to you
- Our wonderful team of staff will support your entire Academic journey – from Application through to graduation – and everything in between
University of Suffolk
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!