MSc Translation Studies with TESOL
This course is designed to give you the skills you need to work from two languages into English, or one language into and out of English at a professional level. You must be a native speaker or have a near native competence in Chinese or English or hold a degree in Chinese.
Our postgraduate degree in Translation Studies with TESOL is of the highest value. Not only will it equip you with professional level translation skills in international dialogues, it also gives you an entry-level teaching qualification with which you can embark on a career in English Language Teaching.
Throughout the course there’s a strong focus on practical translation and specific situations in which people communicate with one another across different cultures. We give you considerable flexibility in choosing which areas of translation you wish to specialise in as you build up a portfolio of translations with your tutor. You can also choose to undertake an extended translation as part of your dissertation project.
The MSc Translation Studies with TESOL course combines training in two key areas for linguists. Gaining expertise in both will open the door to a wide range of possible career routes, and will stand you in good stead when embarking on your chosen career path.
A minimum of a Second Class Honours degree (2:1 preferred) in a relevant subject or equivalent is required. If you don’t have these formal qualifications, but have significant relevant work and life experience, we still encourage you to apply.
You must be a native speaker or have a near native competence in Chinese or English or hold a degree in Chinese.
English Language Requirement
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS Indicator 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in reading and writing and 5.5 in speaking and listening
- Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) 176 overall with a minimum of 169 in reading and writing and with 162 in speaking and listening
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) 180 overall with a minimum of 169 in reading and writing and 162 in speaking and listening
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) 62 overall with a minimum of 60 in reading and writing and 59 in speaking and listening
- IBT TOEFL 80 overall with a minimum of 17 in listening, 20 in speaking, 18 in reading and 23 in writing
- IBT TOEFL Special Home Edition Test 80 overall with a minimum of 17 in listening, 20 in speaking, 18 in reading and 23 in writing
- TOEFL ITP Plus for China minimum 543 overall, 54 in listening, 53 in structure and written expression, 56 in reading and B2 in speaking
- Trinity ISE II Pass overall with a minimum of Merit in all sub-skills, Trinity III Pass overall and in all sub-skills, ISEIV Pass overall and in all sub-skills
- Aptis (4 skills) CEFR B2 overall and B2 in all sub-skills
- Duolingo 105 overall with a minimum of 95 in reading and writing and 90 in speaking and listening
- LanguageCert International ESOL B2 Communicator - Pass with minimum 33 in each sub-skill
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Mode of study: part-time, full-time, campus based, stand-alone modules
- Tuition fee for UK students: £7,700
- Tuition fee for EU students: £16,775
- Tuition fee for Overseas (non-EU) students: £16,775
Award: Masters / MSc, Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate
The objectives of the MSc Translation Studies with TESOL are:
- to give you a strong grounding in practical translation and on specific situations in which people communicate across cultures
- to let you have a continued focus on contemporary theory and practice in the field of TESOL, with teaching provided by staff who have extensive personal experience of TESOL teaching
The course gives you a fantastic gateway into a career in translation. In a world of globalisation and multilingual, multi-platform media, your translation skills will set you apart from the crowd. Whether you want to work overseas or for an international company with offices in the UK, this is the course for you.
At the same time, the course prepares you for a dynamic career teaching English to speakers of other languages, in the UK or beyond. You’ll be fully-equipped with an in-depth understanding of the challenges of the language classroom. You’ll be able to build on your own combined experience as a student of languages and of language teaching to provide a supportive and productive language learning environment for your own students.
About this institute
University of Stirling
The University of Stirling is an international university committed to helping students make a difference in the world. We’re passionate about creating impact in everything we do - addressing real societal issues, providing solutions, and helping to shape communities. Based...
Want to know more about MSc Translation Studies with TESOL? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...