Mathematical Biology MSc
This MSc prepares students with a background in mathematics and related fields for a PhD in Mathematical Biology or a research career in the biomedical sector. A wide range of topics are covered including mathematical oncology, ecological modelling, medical statistics, and population dynamics.
The MSc in Mathematical Biology consists of two semesters of taught courses run by the School of Mathematics and Statistics, followed by a dissertation undertaken over the summer months. There is a growing worldwide demand for students with these skills in Mathematical Biology academic research, as well as in the life sciences industrial sector, including biotechnology, biomedical, healthcare and pharmaceutical companies.
- A good 2.1 undergraduate Honours degree in Mathematics, Statistics or a closely related subject area. If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
- You must be able to demonstrate English language proficiency. See English language tests and qualifications.
The qualifications listed are indicative minimum requirements for entry. Some academic Schools will ask applicants to achieve significantly higher marks than the minimum. Obtaining the listed entry requirements will not guarantee you a place, as the University considers all aspects of every application including, where applicable, the writing sample, personal statement, and supporting documents.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Spatial models and pattern formation in Mathematical Biology
- Stochastic Modelling in Mathematical Biology
- Mathematical Oncology
- Advanced Computational Techniques
Students choose two optional modules from this list:
- Applied Statistical Modelling using GLMsCalculus of Variations in Biological Modelling Computing in Mathematics
- Introductory Data Analysis
- Modelling Wildlife Population Dynamics
- Population Genetics
Students choose one optional module from this list:
- Advanced Analytical Techniques
- Design of Experiments
- Estimating Animal Abundance and Biodiversity
- Fluid Dynamics
- Medical Statistics
- Population Dynamics Models in Mathematical Biology
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The MSc in Mathematical Biology prepares students for further postgraduate studies in mathematical research. Many graduates of the MSc programs in the School of Mathematics and Statistics continue their education by enrolling in PhD programs at St Andrews or elsewhere.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics has active research groups in:
- Applied Mathematics (Vortex Dynamics Group, Solar and Magnetospheric Theory Group, Mathematical Biology Group)
- Mathematical Biology (Mathematical Oncology, Cell Migration and Tissue Growth)
- Pure Mathematics (Analysis Group, Algebra and Combinatorics Group)
- Statistics (Statistical Ecology, Statistical Medicine and Molecular Biology, and Statistical Methodology).
The skills obtained during this MSc program are highly valued for a PhD and further academic career in Mathematical Biology as well as for a professional research scientist career in the private sector. They are sought after, among other, in advanced Research and Development positions in
- bio-pharmaceutical companies
- medical devices companies
- life-sciences industry.
About this institute
University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is Scotland’s first University. As a 600 year-old institution, we are known across the globe for our world leading quality and depth of research. For six centuries some of the world’s brightest and most promising...
Why study at University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is situated in a truly beautiful location. Part of a seaside town it is a picturesque and inspirational location to pursue your studies, where you will have the thinking space needed to be your very best. As a smaller university our size is one of our greatest strengths with class sizes allowing for a close and individual learning experience and giving great access and support from your teachers.
Graduates of St Andrews are highly sought after by employers around the world due to our reputation for excellence. A qualification from St Andrews will help you reach your ambitions and kickstart your career.
Consistently ranked as the best student academic experience in the UK by students in the National Student Survey, your time as a student in St Andrews will be unique and rewarding, leaving you with a prestigious qualification, but also memories and connections to treasure for years to come.
Want to know more about Mathematical Biology MSc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
St Andrews, Scotland
Rochester, United States of America