Health Professions Education MscUniversity of St Andrews
About this program
Health Professions Education Msc
The Health Professions Education online programme is for those interested in developing themselves in a healthcare education role, and offers the flexibility of learning to suit those currently employed. The programme will cultivate teaching practice which instils the principles and values of interprofessional education to support the development of the future and current healthcare workforce.
The minimum requirements for entry to the programme are:
- An existing teaching role in your workplace, with an interest in pursuing an academic career in healthcare education or healthcare education research.
- Evidence of having completed at least one 30 credit module at a minimum of SCQF level 9 (or equivalent) within five years of the programme start date.
- A 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in a health profession or in a relevant field (including but not limited to Health Sciences). If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
- Significant professional or other relevant experience alongside evidence of prior alternative learning such as professional qualifications or certifications.
English language proficiency
If English is not your first language, you may need to provide an English language test score to evidence your English language ability.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Learners will normally be required to complete the following two core modules:
- Fundamentals of Designing and Facilitating Learning: explores the fundamentals and theoretical underpinning of designing and facilitating learning for health professions education. You will consider different methods of learning, reflect, and apply their critical understanding of learning to their own academic and/or health or social care environment.
- Impact of Learning: focus on the key principles of assessment, evaluation and feedback and how these can be used to determine impact on learning. You will learn how quality can be achieved, measured and maintained in education.
On completion of the required modules, totalling 60 credits at level 11, learners may wish to exit the programme with a Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) in Health Professions Education.
Learners will normally be required to complete the core module, along with two optional modules. Optional modules allow you to shape the degree around your own personal and professional interests.
Optional modules are expected to be offered in the following areas:
- Curriculum and programme development
- Contemporary global issues in health professions education.
The modules listed here are indicative, and there is no guarantee they will run for 2023 entry. Take a look at the most up-to-date modules in themodule catalogue.
- Research Methods in Education: covers the fundamentals of research methods for health professions education. You will be provided the opportunity to critique, appraise and plan a research proposal.
Year 3 - Degree project
The final part of the MSc programme is the end of degree project.
This takes the form of a period of supervised research where you will undertake an in-depth investigation into a chosen topic in health professions education.
Through the project you will show your ability to undertake sustained critical analysis, develop and improve your research skills, and produce an extended piece of written work that demonstrates a high level of understanding of your area of study. A flexible approach will be offered to suit the learner with respect to project options.
All options available will develop research skills to help with future intentions to study at higher level of PhD/MD.
- Option 1: An empirical piece of research
- Option 2: A systematic review
- Option 3: An extensive research proposal (including ethics application)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please contact the institute for more information.
MSc (3 years) £15,300 (charged £5,100 per year of study)
The University of St Andrews’ global reputation makes its graduates highly valued by employers. The Health Professions Education programme is aimed at individuals who may wish to develop their healthcare educational role, or wish to follow an academic career in healthcare education or healthcare education research.
Message the school
About this institute
University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is Scotland’s first University. As a 600 year-old institution, we are known across the globe for our world leading quality and depth of research. For six centuries some of the world’s brightest and most promising...
Why study at University of St Andrews
Studying in St Andrews is a unique and rewarding experience that will take your skills and knowledge to the next level.
Students at St Andrews have access to some of the world’s best professors and lecturers and a degree from the University of St Andrews is sought after by employers around the world.
In addition to award-winning teaching and research, the University of St Andrews has an array of facilities which result in high levels of student satisfaction and a world class reputation.
University of St Andrews
Want to know more about Health Professions Education Msc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!