Divinity BD Hons
The BD (Hons) in Divinity is a shorter course intended for those who already have an undergraduate degree and are interested in focusing on theological and biblical studies. It is especially suited for those considering ordination within a Christian denomination.
You will have the option to specialise in subjects such as the Old Testament, theology, practical theology, church history or a combination of these.
Students must have an undergraduate degree in another subject in order to be accepted on the Divinity BD (Hons).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Students take the following compulsory first-year modules:
- Philosophical Theology
- The Early and Medieval Church: History, Beliefs and Practices
- New Testament 2: Paul and the Epistles
- Old Testament 2: Wisdom, Psalms, Apocalyptic and Apocryphal Literature
Students will also take two modules from the following:
- Hebrew 1: Introduction to Hebrew Language
- Hebrew 2
- Introduction to Practical Theology and Theological Ethics
- New Testament 1: Jesus and the Gospels
- New Testament Greek 1
- Old Testament 1: Torah and Prophets
- Theology: Issues and History
During your second and third year in divinity, you choose from a wide variety of advanced options focusing on primary biblical and theological texts.
Divinity Honours modules which have been offered in previous years include:
- A Quest for God: The Religious World of Dante
- Analytic Theology
- Ancient Jewish Literature from 1 Enoch to the Mishnah
- Christian Ethics and Contemporary Society
- Creation and Chaos in the Old Testament and Ancient Near East
- Johannine Literature and Theology
- King and Messiah in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and Second Temple Judaism
- Medieval Monastic Spirituality
- Reading in the Greek New Testament
- The Book of Daniel
- The Gospel of Mark: English Text or Greek Text
- Themes and Texts in Christian-Buddhist Dialogue
- Theology and Pastoral Care.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Teaching in first year is mainly by lectures (10 to 100 students), supplemented by regular small-group tutorials (10 to 15 students).
At Honours level, greater emphasis is put on individual study and on students taking a major role in preparing for, and conducting, seminars (5 to 15 students) and classes (5 to 35 students).
When not attending lectures, tutorials and workshops, you will be expected to continue learning independently through self-study. Typically, this will involve:
- working on individual and group projects
- undertaking research in the library
- preparing coursework assignments and presentations
- preparing for examinations.
Most graduates from the BD take the course as part of their preparation for ordination. That said, graduates from the theological and biblical disciplines develop key transferable skills in critical thinking and in written and oral communication, which make them highly attractive to potential employers. Accordingly, employment prospects are usually wide ranging.
Recent graduates from the School of Divinity have become:
- religious studies teachers
- lay chaplains at schools
- ordained ministers
- journalists with the national and religious press.
About this institute
University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is Scotland’s first University. As a 600 year-old institution, we are known across the globe for our world leading quality and depth of research. For six centuries some of the world’s brightest and most promising...
Why study at University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is situated in a truly beautiful location. Part of a seaside town it is a picturesque and inspirational location to pursue your studies, where you will have the thinking space needed to be your very best. As a smaller university our size is one of our greatest strengths with class sizes allowing for a close and individual learning experience and giving great access and support from your teachers.
Graduates of St Andrews are highly sought after by employers around the world due to our reputation for excellence. A qualification from St Andrews will help you reach your ambitions and kickstart your career.
Consistently ranked as the best student academic experience in the UK by students in the National Student Survey, your time as a student in St Andrews will be unique and rewarding, leaving you with a prestigious qualification, but also memories and connections to treasure for years to come.
Want to know more about Divinity BD Hons? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Campbellsville, United States of America
Alliance, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America