About this program
The MLitt in Classics is an intensive taught program, designed primarily as preparation for further research. The course allows you to specialise in a wide range of areas, including: Greek or Latin literature, ancient history, classical archaeology, reception studies, and ancient philosophy.
The minimum requirements for entry to the MLitt in Classics are a first-class or high 2.1 degree or equivalent.
- In reviewing applications for the MLitt, the School of Classics looks especially at:
- your statement of your plans for the MLitt and for future study or careers
- your academic background and level of performance (especially in courses relevant to the MLitt, and in any research projects or dissertations that you may have completed)
- evidence of your ability to complete a high-level MLitt dissertation and of potential to progress to further research degrees (particularly evidenced by your sample of written work)
- whether St Andrews is a good match for your specialist interests. The MLitt Convenor is happy to be contacted and, if necessary, to set up a meeting in person or virtually so that you can discuss your plans and to ensure that St Andrews is the best place for you to pursue a Masters degree.
If you have any queries concerning the program or your suitability for it, you are encouraged to make contact in advance of your application.
Non-native English speakers must also demonstrate English language proficiency. See English language tests and qualifications.
The qualifications listed are indicative minimum requirements for entry. Some academic Schools will ask applicants to achieve significantly higher marks than the minimum. Obtaining the listed entry requirements will not guarantee you a place, as the University considers all aspects of every application including, where applicable, the writing sample, personal statement, and supporting documents.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university requirements.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Themes and Methods in Classical Research 1
- Themes and Methods in Classical Research 2
Semester 1 (choose one)
- Greek History and Material Culture
- Latin Literary Culture
Semester 2 (choose one)
- Greek Literary Culture
- Roman History and Material Culture
- All students have the opportunity to study Greek or Latin from beginners’ level, or to improve their language skills through more advanced language courses.
- Students who take Greek or Latin language modules take alternative versions of the optional modules which follow the same course of study but with a reduced workload and fewer credits.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The assessment for the taught modules is primarily based on coursework including:
- research papers
- book reviews
- draft research proposal on your dissertation topic
- presentation on your dissertation topic
- take-home exam for the Themes and Methods in Classical Research 1 module.
Postgraduates from the School of Classics go on to pursue careers in a diverse range of professional careers. For example, recent graduands have gone on to work in:
- university administration
- museum curatorship
Others have gone on to successful academic careers in the UK, North America and internationally.
Message the school
About this institute
University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is Scotland’s first University. As a 600 year-old institution, we are known across the globe for our world leading quality and depth of research. For six centuries some of the world’s brightest and most promising...
Why study at University of St Andrews
The University of St Andrews is situated in a truly beautiful location. Part of a seaside town it is a picturesque and inspirational location to pursue your studies, where you will have the thinking space needed to be your very best. As a smaller university our size is one of our greatest strengths with class sizes allowing for a close and individual learning experience and giving great access and support from your teachers.
Graduates of St Andrews are highly sought after by employers around the world due to our reputation for excellence. A qualification from St Andrews will help you reach your ambitions and kickstart your career.
Consistently ranked as the best student academic experience in the UK by students in the National Student Survey, your time as a student in St Andrews will be unique and rewarding, leaving you with a prestigious qualification, but also memories and connections to treasure for years to come.
Want to know more about Classics MLitt? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...