Bachelor's Degree in Textile DesignUniversity of Southampton
About this program
Bachelor's Degree in Textile Design
Whether you’re interested in textiles for fashion, interiors, or products, our BA Textile Design course will nurture your creative, practical and professional skills. Learn to create contemporary textiles using our first-class digital and traditional knit, print and weave facilities. You’ll learn how to become a textile designer and gain industry experience throughout your studies.
You’ll explore different aspects of textile design in your first year, then choose to specialise in woven, knitted or printed textiles for the rest of your degree. You'll engage with industry and deepen your design practice in the second year, before you define yourself as a designer in your final year.
We have a vibrant, creative art-school campus with superb studio space and equipment, such as:
- 3 Shima Seiki computerised knitting machines and hand operated knitting machines
- an industry-standard Mimaki fabric printer and a screen printing lab
- a variety of looms, including an electronic dobby loom
- CAD software packages
- 3D printing and laser cutting
You’ll learn traditional, manual processes alongside cutting-edge, digital techniques. We also strongly emphasise the future of the textiles industry, by exploring current issues such as sustainability.
As part of this textiles degree you can:
- take an optional year in employment to gain work experience
- take part in industry design competitions
- study overseas at one of our partner universities in Europe, Canada or other international exchange destinations
- visit studios and attend talks from external industry speakers
- take part in private views and the degree show at Winchester School of Art, all of which are attended by professionals from creative industries
You'll also have the opportunity to work on live briefs with businesses in the industry. Previous students have worked with:
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 30 points overall with 15 points at Higher Level
- Distinction, Distinction, Merit in the BTEC Extended Diploma in an art or design based subject.
- Distinction, Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus B in an A level
- Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus BB in two A levels
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Introduction to Textile Design, Skills and Processes
- Textile Contexts
- Textiles, Materials and Design
- Visual Research and Study Skills for Textiles
- Critical Thinking and Writing for Textiles 1
- Professional Practice in Textile Design
- Traditional and Digital Textile Processes
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Business Skills for the Creative Industries
- Creative Futures
- Creative Writing
- Image and Branding
- Sight and Sound
- Visual Culture
- Critical Thinking and Writing for Textiles 2
- Professional and Industry Contexts for Textiles
- Textile Design: Directions
- Textile Design: Final Major Project
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- The full tuition price for local/UK students is £9,250
- The price for International/Non-UK students is £19,300
- Final award: Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA (Hons))
- Name of Award: Textile Design
- Interim Exit awards:
- Certificate of Health Studies (CertHE)
- Diploma of Health Studies (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
This degree is designed to create forward-thinking, innovative textiles practitioners with technical and digital skills. You'll develop the ability to think creatively to design new collections and products.
With a comprehensive understanding of textiles, real-world industry experience, and a portfolio that highlights your talents, you’ll be highly employable when you graduate.
We have an excellent track record for employability. Our graduates have secured roles at companies, including:
- Kent and Curwen
- Alexander McQueen
- Fairbairn and Wolf Studio
- Cole and Son
- Marks and Spencer
- WGSN Trend Forecasting & Analytics
Our former students work in a variety of roles such as:
- interior stylists
- textile buyers
- design managers
- studio assistants
Message the school
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
University of Southampton
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Textile Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!