Bachelor's Degree in Modern Languages
With this BA Modern Languages degree you’ll develop advanced skills in 3 languages and learn about the societies they're rooted in. You’ll also spend a year living and working abroad, building your fluency and boosting your employment prospects.
Using our proven language development system, we’ll make sure you start at a level that matches your ability in your chosen languages. This ensures that you make rapid progress. You can also start a third language from scratch (this doesn't apply to English).
The languages offered are:
- English, if you're a non-native English-speaker
You’ll also have the freedom to tailor your degree to areas that interest you. You could, for instance, take modules from other subject areas, go deeper into Linguistics, or explore more about European and Latin American history and culture.
In your year abroad you can choose to:
- work as an English assistant in a school
- study at a university
- take a work placement
ABB including two languages
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 32 points overall with 16 points at Higher Level, including 5 at Higher Level in two languages
- Distinction in the BTEC Extended Diploma plus AB in two A level languages.
- Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus AB in two A level languages.
- Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus AB in two A level languages.
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Academic Skills for ML students
- Chinese Language Stage 1A
- Chinese Language Stage 1B
- Elements of Linguistics - Sound, Structure and Meaning
You must also choose from the following modules in year 1:
- Applications of Linguistics
- Reading Culture
- Reading the City
- Managing Research and Learning
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Conflicts, Crisis and Identities in the Francophone Context
- Culture, Power and Resistance in the Portuguese-Speaking World
- Discourse Analysis
- Ethnography of Latin America
- Exploring French Linguistics
- Exploring Spanish Linguistics
- Gender, Race and Nation in Modern Latin America
- High, Popular and Mass Culture in Modern Spain
- Immigration, Race and Ethnicity in France
- Language and Society in German-Speaking World
- Language, Ideologies and Attitudes
- Learning about Culture: Introduction to Ethnography
- Post-War French Thought
- Sound and Voice
- Syntax: Studying Language Structure
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- The EU and European Identity
- Variation and Change in English
- Vienna and Berlin: Society, Politics and Culture from 1890 to the Present
- Year Abroad Research Project YARP
- Seeing and being seen: Study Abroad re-entry
You must also choose from the following modules in year 4:
- An ambivalent asylum: the histories and memories of refugees in early twentieth-century France
- Audiovisual Translation
- Barrios and Borders: Language and Identity amongst US Latinos
- Encounters with Bodies in Lusophone Cultural Narrative
- English as a Global Language
- Fragmented France: Cultures and Identities in Transition
- French Sociolinguistics: Challenges to Francophonie
- German-Jewish Writing Across the Twentieth Century
- Historical Memory in Modern Latin America
- Language Teaching Theory and Practice
- Language Testing and Assessment in Society
- Language and the City
- Minorities and Migrants: Exploring Multicultural Germany
- Modern Languages Dissertation
- Second Language Acquisition
- Sex, Gender and Desire in French Literature and Culture
- Sex, Soap Operas and Female Dissidents: Representations of Women in the Hispanic World
- Sociophonetic Project Module
- Translation: Theory and Practice
- Writing in a Second Language
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- The full tuition price for local/UK students is £9,250
- The price for International/Non-UK students is £19,300
- Final award: Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA (Hons))
- Name of Award: Modern Languages
- Interim Exit awards:
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
Many of our graduates go on to further study. Subjects taken include interpreting and translating, law, accountancy, management and international relations.
As a Modern Languages graduate, you can choose from a wide variety of employment options.
Language careers include:
- international development
- advertising, film and television
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Modern Languages? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Knoxville, United States of America
Honolulu, United States of America