About this program
Bachelor's Degree in German and History
Become fluent in German and gain a global perspective on past societies with this degree. You’ll improve your language skills and boost your employability by spending a year in a German-speaking country. In History, you'll have a wide choice of module options covering the Ancient World to the present day.
During your year abroad you’ll become proficient in German. You'll complement your studies with modules on political systems and German history.
You’ll start your language studies at the right level based on your existing ability in spoken and written German. You’ll have excellent resources to support you at the Centre for Language Study.
As well as studying German and History, you’ll develop advanced analytical skills.
A special module in year 2 will make sure you’re ready for working and studying abroad in year 3. Your location options include:
You can also study this course part-time over 5 to 8 years. You'll need to spend a significant period abroad.
AAB including Grades AB in History (or a related subject*) and German
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 34 points overall with 17 points at Higher Level, including 6 and 5 at Higher Level in History (or a related subject*) and German
- Distinction in the BTEC Extended Diploma plus A in A level History (or a related subject*) and A in A level German.
- Distinction in the BTEC Diploma plus A in A level History (or a related subject*) and A in A level German.
- Distinction in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A in A level History (or a related subject*) and A in A level German.
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Dynamic Earth
- Earth Materials
- Earth and Ocean System
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Energy and Matter
- Key Skills for Geoscientists
- Math Methods for Scientist 1b
- Mathematical Methods for Scientists 1a
- Waves, Light and Quanta
- Exploration Geophysics and Remote Sensing
- Mathematical Methods for Scientists
- Physics, Fieldwork & Key Skills for Geophysicists
- Structural Geology and GIS
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Classical Mechanics
- Coastal Ocean Processes
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Geohazards and Earth Resources
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Sedimentary Systems and Processes
- The Dynamic Ocean
- Applied and Marine Geophysics
- Computational Data Analysis for Geophysicists and Ocean Scientists
- Geophysical Field Methods
- Geophysics Research Training
- Global Tectonics
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Environmental and Engineering Geology
- Palaeoclimate Change
- Petroleum Geology and Mineral Resources
- The Evolving Earth
- Volcanic and Mantle Processes
- Course structure
- Contemporary Topics in Geology and Geophysics
- Geodynamics and Solid Earth Geophysics
- MSci Advanced Independent Research Project (GS)
You must also choose from the following modules in year 4:
- Basin Analysis
- Biogeochemical Cycles in the Earth System
- Climate and Climate Change
- Large Scale Ocean Processes and Climate
- Sea level rise and coastal management
- Seafloor Exploration and Surveying 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- The full tuition price for local/UK students is £9,250
- The price for International/Non-UK students is £19,300
- Final award: Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA (Hons))
- Name of award: German and History
- Interim Exit awards:
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
Previous graduates have gone on to careers including:
- International development
- advertising, film and television
Many of our graduates go on to further study. Subjects taken include interpreting and translating, law, accountancy, management and international relations.
Message the school
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in German and History? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!