Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science
Our exciting and topical Environmental Science degree combines a range of subjects, including geography, law and oceanography. It focuses on applying science to some of the biggest environmental challenges of today and in the future. It will prepare you for a rewarding career in many fields, like environmental management and conservation.
Our BSc Environmental Science consists of theory with practical and project work, and explores sustainable solutions to environmental problems.
At the start of the course, you'll choose one of 4 specialist pathways. This will give you control over your degree and career route. You can change your pathway at the end of the first year.
You can choose to specialise in:
- Aquatic Environments and Resources
- Environmental Change
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- Sustainable Environmental Management
You'll complete a research project in year 3. Industry regularly implements our students’ work. For example, Ordnance Survey has used recommendations from student-designed environmental management systems.
We provide many opportunities for fieldwork, where you'll gain the skills to collect and analyse data. Previous field trips have used drones for remote sensing and studied salt marsh vegetation.
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Environmental Sciences (IES).
ABB including two acceptable science subjects
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with minimum 32 points overall with 16 points at Higher Level to include two acceptable science subjects at Higher Level scoring a minimum of 5 in each
D in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A B in two acceptable science A-level subjects
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Dangerous World
- Earth and Ocean System
- Ecology & Evolution
- Environmental Field Techniques and Applications
- Environmental Science: Concepts and Communication
- Environmental Science: Research and Applications
- Introduction to Marine Ecology and Evolution
- Quantitative Methods
- The Earth System
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Environmental Pollution
- Introductory Geographic Information Systems
- Sustainability (No-Fly Field Course)
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Animal Behaviour
- Coastal Landscapes and Human Interactions
- Coastal Ocean Processes
- Concepts and Methods for Environmental Management
- Freshwater Ecosystems
- Global Climate Change: Science, Impacts and Policy
- Global Water Resources
- Marine Benthic Ecology
- Marine Vertebrates
- Monitoring Coastal and Estuarine Environments
- Plant Development and Function
- Population Change in Low and Middle Income Countries
- Population Processes in High Income Countries
- Pure and Applied Population Ecology
- Quaternary Environmental Change
- Remote Sensing for Earth Observation
- Environmental Law and Management
- Individual Project
- Literature Review
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Adapting to Climate Change and Weather Hazards
- Air Quality and Environmental Pollution
- Applied Plant Biology
- Behavioural Ecology
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- Biogeochemical Cycles in the Earth System
- Coastal Sediment Dynamics
- Desert Landscapes: Modelling and Measuring Aeolian Systems
- Environment and Health
- Evolution and Genetics
- Glaciers and Glaciation
- Global Challenges in Biology
- Marine Fisheries Ecology
- Migration and Development
- Palaeoclimate Change
- River Basin Management and Restoration
- Seafloor Exploration and Surveying
- Sustainable Resource Management
- The Sustainability Professional
- Zooplankton Ecology and Processes
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- UK, Channel Island, Isle of Man and Irish students: £9,250 per year
- EU and international students: £22,760 per year
- Final award: Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc (Hons))
- Name of award: BSc (Hons) Environmental Science
- Interim Exit awards:
- Bachelor of Science (Ordinary)
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
As a graduate of this bachelor of environmental science, you'll have many career fields available, these could include:
- carbon management
- water management
- environmental consultancy
- sustainability strategy and policy
- nature conservation
- waste management
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Knoxville, United States of America
Alliance, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America