Bachelor's Degree in Electronic Engineering
Help develop the next generation of world-changing technology - from mobile phone and entertainment systems, to medical devices and artificial intelligence. Electronic Engineering is both a technical and creative subject that combines theory and practice. You’ll learn to solve problems by designing, building and testing new electronic systems. You'll gain all the knowledge and skills for a career as an incorporated electronic engineer.
Electronics is the study of the physical components, software and systems that bring electronic devices to life.
This 3-year course will help you develop the skills to solve real-world challenges, from sustainable energy production to cyber security. You’ll explore the components within electronic devices and how they work together, for example, to analyse data or display information on a screen.
Our outstanding facilities, huge range of optional modules and strong industry links make Southampton one of the best places in the UK to study Electronic Engineering.
As part of this course you can:
- use our research facilities, including a high-voltage laboratory and our £110m interdisciplinary clean room
- develop your enterprise skills with help from our startup supporter, Future Worlds
- build your own unique electronic systems
- learn from leading researchers in quantum technology, nanotechnology and photonics
- study engineering management and law to develop your career skills
This BEng Electronic Engineering degree is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of:
- fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer
- partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer
- AAA including mathematics and an additional required subject
- A*AB including grades A*A in mathematics and an additional required subject (in any order)
International Baccalaureate Diploma
Pass, with 36 points overall with 18 points required at Higher Level including 6 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches or 7 at Higher Level in Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation, and 6 at Higher Level in an additional required subject
- D in the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma plus A in A-level mathematics and A in an additional required A-level subject.
- We do not accept the BTEC Extended Diploma or the BTEC Diploma without additional A-levels.
- Applicants with a BTEC Extended Diploma or a BTEC Diploma should apply for the Engineering/Physics/Mathematics/Geophysics Foundation Year
Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)
English language requirements
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to complete an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to demonstrate your competence in English.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Advanced Programming
- Digital Systems and Microprocessors
- Electrical Materials and Fields
- Electronic Circuits
- Electronic Systems
- Mathematics for Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Solid State Devices
- Control and Communications
- Digital Systems and Signal Processing
- Electromagnetism for Communications
- Electronic Design
- Mathematics for Electronics & Electrical Engineering Part II
You must also choose from the following modules in year 2:
- Advanced Electronic Systems
- Computer Engineering
- Photonics I
- Part III Individual Project
You must also choose from the following modules in year 3:
- Advanced Computer Architecture
- Advanced Electronic Systems
- Advanced Partial Differential Equations
- Analogue and Mixed Signal Electronics
- Computational Biology
- Computer Engineering
- Control System Design
- Digital Coding and Transmission
- Digital Control System Design
- Digital IC and Systems Design
- Embedded Networked Systems
- Engineering Management and Law
- Foundations of Machine Learning
- Green Electronics
- Integral Transform Methods
- Introduction to Bionanotechnology
- Nanoelectronic Devices
- Operational Research
- Photonics I
- Real-Time Computing and Embedded Systems
- Robotic Systems
- Security of Cyber Physical Systems
- Signal and Image Processing
- Web and Cloud Based Security
- Wireless and Optical Communications
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- UK, Channel Island, Isle of Man and Irish students: £9,250 per year
- EU and international students: £22,760 per year
- Final award: Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (BEng (Hons))
- Name of award: Electronic Engineering
- Interim Exit awards:
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng)
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- FHEQ level of final award: Level 6
This degree is also a great foundation for further study at postgraduate level.
As a bachelor of electronic engineering from Southampton you’ll have excellent career prospects.
Most of our students go straight into graduate electronic engineering jobs in high-tech companies. You’ll be prepared for professional and managerial roles such as:
- electronic engineer
- design and development engineer
- technology analyst
- systems engineer
About this institute
University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a top 100 global University with a top 15 UK University place. We are a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group, as demonstrated by our research intensity. We have a wonderful global community, with...
Why study at University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is a welcoming and close knit student community of roughly 22,000 students. We have an international student population which makes up just under 30% of our student body which is wonderful. With 98% of our graduates going into work or further study 6 months after graduation, we offer the chance to study at a world leading Russell Group University whilst safe in the knowledge you will be well on your way to succeeding your chosen career.
Want to know more about Bachelor's Degree in Electronic Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America
Potsdam, United States of America
Chicago, United States of America