Political Science is the science of the principles, organization, and methods of government. Our program includes the study of theories of government as well as examinations of such topics as governance, parties, public opinion, interest groups, campaigns, elections, civil and political rights, and the various institutions of government.
Our faculty are trained and have practical experience in various aspects of the science. They have utilized their training to the benefit of various professions and endeavors in and out of government. They personify the belief that a degree in political science can and does assist individuals in fields as diverse as education, social service agencies, insurance, charities, law, and business.
Majors are encouraged to develop analytical skills and research competency that include using the latest technological advances in computers, electronic retrieval, and communications systems. Our courses are designed to give students theoretical background as well as practical and realistic experiences.
Our graduates are engaged in occupations in academics, government, and business throughout the world. Many started on their career paths with internship positions chosen while enrolled as students in the program.
- Official high school transcript reflecting a minimum 2.50 GPA
- Official ACT or SAT scores: a minimum ACT superscore of 19 OR a minimum SAT (critical reading + math only) score of 900 (if taken prior to March 2016) OR a minimum SAT (Evidence-based reading and writing + math only) score of 990 (if take March 2016 or after)
At this time, the University of South Alabama is accepting self-reported information that will be considered with your application for admission. All the information will be verified and your admission will be contingent on receipt of official documents.
Required Academic Core Courses:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of social science
- 3 years of Math- Must include Algebra I and two higher level math courses (for example: Algebra II, Algebra w/ Finance, Algebraic Connections, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry, Pre-Calculus, or other higher level math courses will be considered)
- 3 years of science (At least two of the sciences must include labs)
- 3 years of advanced electives (Courses chosen from any of the four core areas above and may include foreign language)
The Alabama High School Diploma with Advanced Endorsement meets all University of South Alabama core requirements. The Credit Based Diploma awarded by Alabama High Schools is accepted; however, students must meet all high school core requirements listed above.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Requirements for the Political Science Major
- Introduction to U.S. Government
- Comparative Politics
- International Relations
- Research Methods
- Capstone Seminar in Political Science
- Level PSC Electives
Requirements for the Political Science Minor
- Introduction to US Government
- Comparative Politics OR
- International Relations
- level PSC electives
Political Science Electives
- Public Policy
- Classical Political Thought
- Renaissance Political Thought
- Modern Political Thought
- Judicial Process
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- The Law and Legal Theory
- Liability and Punishment
- Race, Gender, and Politics
- Women and Politics
- Public Opinion and Political Participation
- Media and Politics
- Politics of Europe
- Crime and Politics in Latin America
- Politics of the Middle East
- Politics of South Asia
- American Foreign Policy
- Special Topics
- Public Administration
- Criminal Justice Administration
- American Political Thought
- Criminal Procedure
- State and Local Government
- Politics of Urban Government
- US Congress and Policymaking
- US Presidency
- Advanced Topics in Public Policy
- Advanced Studies in Comparative Politics
- Politics of the Muslim World
- Campaign and Election Communication
- Social Media and Politics
- Criminal Justice Policies
- Advanced Studies in International Relations
- International Law
- Public Policy and Aging
- Healthcare Around the World
- Armed Conflict
- Leadership and World Leaders
- Special Topics
- Seminar on Terrorism
- Study Abroad
- Directed Studies
- Honors Thesis
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- In-State: 329.00 per credit hour
- Out-of-State: 658.00 per credit hour
A bachelor's degree in political science can lead to exciting careers in federal, state and local governments; law; business; international organizations; nonprofit associations and organizations; campaign management and polling; journalism; pre-collegiate education; electoral politics; research and university and college teaching.
About this institute
University of South Alabama
The University of South Alabama is a comprehensive, global research and teaching university that provides our students with an exceptional education in business, the liberal arts, education, engineering, computing, the sciences and health care. Located in Mobile, Alabama on the...
Want to know more about Political Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Alliance, United States of America