BA in Communication (Journalism)
Journalism is a concentration option for students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Communication. The concentration has two tracks: multimedia journalism and broadcast journalism. Learn the art of creative storytelling and conquer the ever-changing multimedia landscape with a concentration in journalism.
The multimedia journalism track prepares students to investigate and report events, issues and trends to a broad audience through newspapers, magazines and online platforms.
The broadcast journalism track teaches students how to write, report and break news in the broadcast and digital world. Students gain hands-on experience filming and editing footage.
- Official high school transcript reflecting a minimum 2.50 GPA
- Official ACT or SAT scores: a minimum ACT superscore of 19 OR a minimum SAT (critical reading + math only) score of 900 (if taken prior to March 2016) OR a minimum SAT (Evidence-based reading and writing + math only) score of 990 (if take March 2016 or after)
At this time, the University of South Alabama is accepting self-reported information that will be considered with your application for admission. All the information will be verified and your admission will be contingent on receipt of official documents.
Required Academic Core Courses:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of social science
- 3 years of Math- Must include Algebra I and two higher level math courses (for example: Algebra II, Algebra w/ Finance, Algebraic Connections, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry, Pre-Calculus, or other higher level math courses will be considered)
- 3 years of science (At least two of the sciences must include labs)
- 3 years of advanced electives (Courses chosen from any of the four core areas above and may include foreign language)
The Alabama High School Diploma with Advanced Endorsement meets all University of South Alabama core requirements. The Credit Based Diploma awarded by Alabama High Schools is accepted; however, students must meet all high school core requirements listed above.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Journalism requires at least 72 hours in courses outside of the Department of Communication.
- Intro to Media
- Writing Communication Media
- Digital Writing and Production
- Foundations of Communication Research
- Ethics and Social Responsibility in Communication
Requirements for both Multimedia and Broadcast:
- Broadcast News Production & Broadcast News Editing
- Intermediate Reporting-Writing
- Law of Communication
Multimedia Journalism Requirements
- Editing and Layout
- Magazine & Feature Writing
- Enterprise Reporting/ Multimedia Storytelling
- History of the Mass Media
- Editorial Column Writing
- Professional Studies – Internship
Broadcast Journalism Requirements
- Radio and TV Performance
- Advanced Broadcast News
- TV News Production
- History of Mass Media
- Multimedia Storytelling
- Professional Studies - Internship
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- In-State: 329.00 per credit hour
- Out-of-State: 658.00 per credit hour
A degree in journalism allows graduates to pursue careers as news editors, radio broadcasters, TV reporters, multimedia journalists and editors. The distribution of news is drastically changing, and this program provides cutting-edge experiences for students to feel confident when starting their career. Through copywriting, videotaping, reporting and editing, this concentration teaches a wide array of practical skills and provides the competitive edge necessary for aspiring journalists to succeed.
About this institute
University of South Alabama
The University of South Alabama is a comprehensive, global research and teaching university that provides our students with an exceptional education in business, the liberal arts, education, engineering, computing, the sciences and health care. Located in Mobile, Alabama on the...
Want to know more about BA in Communication (Journalism)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...