University Master's Degree in Urban Anthropology, Migrations and Social Intervention
This master's degree enables students to understand, analyse and intervene in the social and cultural life of a plural and constantly changing urban society, with special emphasis on migrations and cultural diversity.
The theory and methodology is largely taken from the fields of social anthropology. Students will receive training in urban anthropology, migrations and cultural diversity, and urban intervention.
The focus of the program is interdisciplinary and it is designed to lead to a professional or research career.
The course will be taught in
- Virtual mode: Spanish
- Blended Mode: Spanish, Catalan
This master's degree is designed for graduates of the degree in Anthropology and Social Work, but is also offered to graduates of Humanities and Social Sciences (Sociology, Political Science, Geography, Social Education, etc.) and graduates in Architecture and Urbanism who are interested in training in Urban Studies from a social and humanistic viewpoint.
Specific documentation required
As well as the compulsory general documentation required for pre-enrolment in the program, optionally you can also submit:
- Proof of complementary training relevant to the content of the master's degree (courses, seminars or other training activities, for which proof must be provided).
- Proof of English language.
- Proof of extended stays (at least four weeks, proof must be provided) in English-speaking countries.
- Suitability of the admission qualification: up to 4 points, according to the following scale:
- Degrees in the humanities and social sciences: up to 4 points.
- Other qualifications: 0 points.
- Evaluation of the students' academic record in the university degree qualifying them for admission to the master's degree: up to 3 points.
- Level of English: up to 1 point. (B1=0,5; B2=0,75; C=1).
- Complementary training relevant to the content of the master's degree (proof must be provided): up to 1 point.
- Extended stays in English-speaking countries (proof must be provided): up to 1 point.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
First Year: Compulsory Subjects
- Case Studies
- Contemporary Cities and Metropolises
- Migrations and Multiculturalism
- Ethnographic Method and Urban Research Techniques
- Optional subjects
- Welfare State and Social Policies
- Social Conflict
- Workshop on Demography
- Optional subjects
Second Year: Compulsory Subjects
- Methodologies of Intervention in the Urban Ambit
- Master’s Thesis
- Optional subjects
- History and Theory of Anthropology
- New Technologies in the Interpretation of Cities
- Transnational Social Movements
- Postindustrialism, Globalization and Risk Society
- Intercultural Mediation as a Tool for Urban Intervention
- Contemporary Migrations Contexts and Logics
- Cities and Social and Gender Inequalities
- Public Policies in Migrations and Cultural Diversity
- Racism and Xenophobias in Multicultural Cities
- Economic Policies of Transnationalism and Codevelopment
- Transnational Migratory Projects Genre, Family and Generations
- City, Leisure and Sport
- Programs and Policies for Social Inclusion
- Urban Policies Heritage and Tourism
- Gender, Sexuality and Love In Urban Globalised Society
- Professional Practicals
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- For students from member states of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Andorra* or resident in Spain: €2,782 / full time-course.
- Rest of students*: €4,442.
*Students who have obtained their degrees outside of Spain will be charged with €218.15 as a Tax of academic career that will apply in the first registration only (price for course 2021-22).
Credits - 90 ECTS
Graduate in University Master's Degree in Urban Anthropology, Migrations and Social Intervention is enabled to work in:
- Social and cultural research
- Social diagnosis and urban planning
- Social intervention
- Equality management
- Immigration and integration management
- Socio-cultural mediation
- Social marketing
- Socio-cultural leadership
About this institute
Universitat Rovira i Virgili
The Rovira i Virgili University (URV) is a young and dynamic university serving the needs of society, with an international outlook and a close relationship with our immediate socioeconomic environment. Located in Tarragona, approximately 100 kms south-west of Barcelona on...
Want to know more about University Master's Degree in Urban Anthropology, Migrations and Social Intervention? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...