The Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures offers a major and a minor in Italian studies as well as a cross-school major in Italian studies and international business. Students majoring in Italian studies must take three specific 300-level courses, Italian conversation, advanced grammar and composition and Italian literature in context. Two 400-level Italian courses are required as well as four courses chosen from a range of interdisciplinary topics. When students choose an interdisciplinary course taught in English, they must add a Language Across the Curriculum component to the course. Students have the option of completing a senior thesis.
Italian studies minors must take three courses at the 300-level or above and two interdisciplinary courses. All students must have satisfied their COM2 general education language requirements before beginning 300-level coursework.
Candidates for admission must have a high school diploma (or recognized equivalent), and must have completed a minimum of 16 units of secondary school coursework. Minimum requirements include four units in English, three in college preparatory mathematics (including Algebra I, II, and Geometry), and at least two each in history, laboratory science, and a second language (two units of the same language, including American Sign Language).
International Admission Requirements
English Proficiency Policy
You can demonstrate English proficiency by:
- Having been enrolled in an academically rigorous, English-medium secondary school for four years.
- Obtaining a score of 660 or higher on the SAT evidence-based reading and writing section.
- Obtaining a score of 28 or higher on the ACT English section.
- Obtaining a score of 7.5 or higher on the IELTS.
- Obtaining a grade of A or B in Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or A-Level English course(s).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Italian Major & Minor courses
- Italian Conversation through Cinema
- Italian Culture and Society
- Italian in the Media
- Folklore and Legend in Northern Italy
- Writing in Italian Culture and Literature
- Italian Literature in Context
- The Literature of Exile
- Italian Identities: Sicily, Veneto, and Tuscany
- Le Tre Corone: Dante, Petrarca and Boccaccio
- Love and Family all'italiana
- Selected Readings in 19th- and 20th-Century Italian Literature and Culture
- Food: French and Italian Rituals
- Selected Topics in Italian Literature and Culture
- Late Antique and Early Christian Art
- Art of the Italian Renaissance
- Art in the Age of Reform
- Roman Art and Archaeology
- The Roman Empire
- Medieval Italy
- The High Middle Ages
- The Renaissance
- Cold War Europe, 1945-1991
- Selected Topics: Italian Culture and Society
- Roman Epic
- Roman Philosophical Literature
- Introductory Linguistics
- Women, Virtue, and Temptation in Literature
- Desire and Identity in the Renaissance: The Lyric Tradition
- Representing the Holocaust
- History of the Romance Languages
- Teaching of a Modern Second Language
- Songbirds and Sirens
- Europe Today
- Religious Thought of the Renaissance and Reformation
- Medieval Byzantine Art
- The Feminine in Greco-Roman Literature
- Twentieth-Century Europe
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
The tuition fee for this program is $56,860 per year.
Skills You Will Gain as a Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Major
- Understanding historical language change
- Working with original sources in many fields
- Determining the needs of others
- Collaborating as part of a team
- Weighing values
- Writing clearly
About this institute
University of Richmond
Located six miles from a vibrant capital city, the University of Richmond provides a collaborative learning and research environment unlike any other, offering 3,000 undergraduates from 70+ countries an extraordinary combination of the liberal arts and sciences with a top-ranked...
Want to know more about Italian Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...