For motivated students, nothing is more rewarding than studying a subject that precisely matches specific goals and interests. The Interdisciplinary Studies Program allows students to design their own majors.
Interdisciplinary studies isn't for everyone. Plenty of Richmond students create interdisciplinary experiences by double majoring or choosing a minor in a complementary, or even seemingly contradictory field. When deciding on a double major, some students can envision exactly how the two subjects will eventually intertwine and lead them towards a career path. Other students don't think the two subjects will ever come together but they appreciate the skills and talents that each discipline asks of them.
Students who major in interdisciplinary studies all have one thing in common. They are interested in many fields of study. Interdisciplinary studies majors often say that they considered a major in (fill in the blank) but realized that while they were completely fascinated by half the course requirements, they were uninterested in the other half. Adding a second major or a minor doesn't seem as practical as developing one field of study that meets their varied interests and needs.
Candidates for admission must have a high school diploma (or recognized equivalent), and must have completed a minimum of 16 units of secondary school coursework. Minimum requirements include four units in English, three in college preparatory mathematics (including Algebra I, II, and Geometry), and at least two each in history, laboratory science, and a second language (two units of the same language, including American Sign Language).
International Admission Requirements
English Proficiency Policy
You can demonstrate English proficiency by:
- Having been enrolled in an academically rigorous, English-medium secondary school for four years.
- Obtaining a score of 660 or higher on the SAT evidence-based reading and writing section.
- Obtaining a score of 28 or higher on the ACT English section.
- Obtaining a score of 7.5 or higher on the IELTS.
- Obtaining a grade of A or B in Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or A-Level English course(s).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Selected Projects
- Pilgrimage Studies
- Principles of the Natural Sciences
- Integrated Quantitative Science (IQS) Research Training Seminar
- Developing Interdisciplinary Research
- Selected Topics
- Combined Major Project/Portfolio
- Individual Internship
- Interdisciplinary Studies in the Middle Ages and Renaissance
- Independent Study
- Special Topics
- Senior Thesis
- Honors Thesis
- Summer Undergraduate Research
- Integrated Science Senior Seminar
The tuition fee for this program is $56,860 per year.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Skills You Will Gain as an Interdisciplinary Studies Major
- Evaluating goals and objectives
- Writing clearly
- Analyzing complex situations/ideas
- Taking multiple approaches to problems
- Considering historical perspectives
- Clarifying others’ thoughts and ideas
- Seeing relationships between factors
- Working autonomously
- Using information resources
- Shaping general ideas into specific points and programs
- Synthesizing ideas/themes
- Working with original sources in many fields
About this institute
University of Richmond
Located six miles from a vibrant capital city, the University of Richmond provides a collaborative learning and research environment unlike any other, offering 3,000 undergraduates from 70+ countries an extraordinary combination of the liberal arts and sciences with a top-ranked...
Want to know more about Interdisciplinary Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Campbellsville, United States of America
Carson, United States of America
Angola, United States of America