About this program
BA (Fine Arts)
This program focuses on the main disciplines in fine arts, ie painting, sculpture, graphic printmaking, drawing and new media, as well as on the theories and concepts of art. Graduates qualify as professional artists. The program is aimed at the promotion of aesthetic awareness and the broadening of visual, critical and creative thinking. The program also incorporates art management, art communication and marketing, digital training and the use of a wide range of artists materials, media and techniques.
- The admission requirements apply to students who apply for admission to the University of Pretoria with a National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examination Board (IEB) qualifications.
- Applicants with qualifications other than the abovementioned should refer to: Brochure: Undergraduate program Information 2022: Qualifications other than the NSC and IEB.
- Citizens from countries other than South Africa (applicants who are not South African citizens) should also refer to: Brochure: Newcomer’s Guide 2021.
- School of Tomorrow (SOT), Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) and General Education Development Test (GED): The University of Pretoria no longer accepts qualifications awarded by these institutions.
- National Certificate (Vocational) (NCV) Level 4: The University of Pretoria may consider NCV candidates, provided they meet the exemption for bachelor’s status criteria and the program requirements.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Curriculum: Year 1
- Academic information management 111
- Academic information management 121
- Academic literacy 110
- Academic literacy for Humanities 125
- Academic orientation 101
- Visual culture studies 111
- Fine arts (1) 101
- Professional art practice (1) 101
- Visual culture studies 121
Curriculum: Year 2
- Fine arts (2) 201
- Community arts in practice 210
- Professional art practice (2) 201
- Visual culture studies 211
- Visual culture studies 221
Curriculum: Year 3
- Fine arts (3) 301
- Professional art practice (3) 301
- Visual culture studies 311
- Curriculum: Final year
- Fine arts (4) 400
- Fine Arts 401
- Arts research and methodology 400
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Undergraduate Tuition fees per faculty in 2022
- 1st year: 47 000 - 56 000 + 15% VAT
- 2nd year: 35 000 - 42 000 + 15% VAT
- 3rd year: 37000 - 45 000 + 15% VAT
- 4th year: 32 000 - 40 000 + 15% VAT
Total credits: 494
Message the school
About this institute
University of Pretoria - Faculty of Humanities
You can choose to enrol for a professional degree in any of a variety of fields, such as psychology, social work, communication and audiology—our Department of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology is equipped with Africa’s only Specialist Neuro-Otologic Test Centre. These...
Want to know more about BA (Fine Arts)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!