MSc Forensic Investigation
With exciting developments in research, accreditation of frontline practices and a national drive for 'transforming forensics', there's never been a better time to study forensic investigation. On this MSc Forensic Investigation degree course, you'll learn the practical skills and theories that underpin forensic science, from the investigation to the courtroom.
You'll learn key practical skills and and their strategic deployment in the investigation of crime. You'll study current forensic methods in realistic settings, understanding the extent and nature of forensic practices.
This course has been developed with our partners in law enforcement and forensic providers, including Hampshire Constabulary, Key Forensic Services and Forensic Access. So, when you graduate, you'll have all the skills you need for a successful career in the forensic investigation, or related fields, and transferable skills which will support your career development.
Qualifications or experience
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Exceptionally, applicants with strong and relevant work experience will be considered.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Forensic Investigation
- Dissertation / Major Project
- Research Methods and Research Ethics
Relevant specialist options
- Applied Forensic Science
Other modules available
- Countering Fraud and Corruption
- Crime Science
- Criminal Justice
- Crisis Management and Governance
- Cybercrime: Critical Perspectives
- Dangerous Offenders and Vulnerable Victims
- Green Criminology and Wildlife Crime
- International Criminal Justice
- International Fraud and Corruption
- Investigation and Psychology
- Managing Intelligence
- Managing Investigations
- Psychology and Offending Behaviour
- Rehabilitation and Desistence from Crime
- Security Management
- Substance Misuse, Crime and the Criminal Justice System
- The Global Landscape of Cybersecurity
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full time: £9,200
- Part time: £4,600 per year
- Full time: £15,500
- Part time: £7,750 per year
When you graduate from this course, you'll have the knowledge and skills to pursue a career in investigation or intelligence work, in the public or private sectors.
Career opportunities include:
- Policing (as an officer or civilian staff)
- Crime analysis
- Crime Scene Investigator
- Police Staff Investigator
- Forensic scientist / analyst
- The courts and prison service
- Local authorities
- Academia and research
- Private industry
- Financial investigator
- Compliance officer
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about MSc Forensic Investigation? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Indianapolis, United States of America