About this program
MSc Forensic Accounting
Are you an accountant looking to build on your existing skills, and excited about a potential career in forensic accounting? If you're keen to develop your knowledge and interested in applying your skills in civil, corporate and criminal litigation procedures, then our MSc Forensic Accounting degree course is for you.
On this course, you'll unpack the core areas of forensic accounting, including dispute and litigation support, expert witnessing, fraud examination and regulatory investigations. You'll learn to apply your expert skills in business valuation, assessment of economic damages, proceeds of crime and fraud.
If you study on campus, you'll learn full-time over 1 year or part-time over 30 months (starting in October/September).
The course is also available through distance learning over 1 year (starting in September), 2 years (starting in September) or 30 months (starting in September or February/January).
Once you graduate, you'll have all the tools you need for a rewarding career in forensic accounting within law firms, enforcement agencies and accountancy practices.
Qualifications or experience
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent qualification and/or equivalent professional experience.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core units include:
- Financial Analysis
- Statistics and Data Modelling
- Corporate Governance and Ethics
- Expert Witnessing and Dispute Resolution
- Valuations and the Expert Report
- Financial Crime and the Law
- Fraud Examination and Forensic Investigations
- Data Analysis and Visualisation
- Database Design and Implementation
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 1 year full-time
- 30 months part-time
- 1 year full-time distance learning
- 2 years part-time distance learning
- 30 months part-time distance learning
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full time: £10,700
- Part time: £3,570 per year
- Full time: £17,600
- Part time: £5,870 per year
- Fee for 1-year: to be confirmed
- Fee for 2-year: £4,600 a year
- Fee for 30-month: £3,070 a year
On this course, you'll:
- Investigate real-life case studies and learn the processes involved in compiling your own case, like gathering and presenting evidence and preparing expert reports
- Study exciting topics including corporate integrity and management control, fraud and forensic analysis, cybercrime, and interviewing and testimony
- Participate in webchats to discuss your work with expert staff and researchers, lecturers and other students. You'll also be supported by a personal tutor throughout the course of your studies (distance learning only)
- Complete a research project of your choice, to demonstrate your subject knowledge, analytical abilities and problem-solving skills
- Have the chance to use the University’s Bloomberg terminals to monitor and analyse company financial information
The MSc Forensic Accounting degree course will help you sharpen your accounting skills for use in civil, criminal and corporate litigation, and you'll learn the processes and procedures needed to investigate financial crime and regulatory compliance cases.
What can you do with a Forensic Accounting degree?
When you graduate, you'll be well placed for a career in dispute and litigation support, fraud examination, or forensic accounting and regulatory investigations.
What jobs can you do with a Forensic Accounting degree?
Your degree can open doors to roles with:
- financial regulatory authorities
- law firms
- accountancy practices
- law enforcement agencies
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about MSc Forensic Accounting? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!