About this program
MSc Film and Television
If you've got the ambition to explore how storytelling is changing across TV, film and new media – and develop the skills required to bring the next generation of stories to life – then this MSc Film and Television Master's will help you get there.
You'll unpack the technical, academic and professional skills needed for a career in the industry. You'll learn to use the latest kit and develop the techniques that'll make you attractive in whatever area of TV and film you want to pursue.
Once you graduate with MSc Film and Television, you'll be ready for careers across the industry, such as a production manager, researcher, assistant to producer or director, and technical operator.
Qualifications or experience
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Professional, Academic and Research Development
- Project Context and Definition
- Project Design and Development
- Project Evaluation and Artefact Resolution
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full time: £7,950
- Part time: £3,980
- Full time: £15,500
- Part time: £7,750
On this course, you'll:
- Learn how to adapt to the complex and changing demands of the industry
- Access the latest facilities used by professional filmmakers, including equipment and software for your major project (including DSLR cameras, multi-track location audio recorders, Avid Media Composer editing facilities, Foley and ADR Sound Studios and a multi-camera TV studio)
- Research, design and develop a personal project of your choosing
- Create a film, TV, new media, or cross-platform program to a professional standard
- Be able to choose your personal project from specialities including documentary, fiction film, scriptwriting, interactive multimedia websites, digital archiving and music videos
The skills you'll develop on this course will prepare you for roles in the media industry including:
- Content provider (traditional or new media)
- Production manager
- Camera operator
- Media commentator
Depending on the scope of your personal project, you could have a career in sectors including:
- Web content and design
- Social Media content and design
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about MSc Film and Television? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...