MSc CybercrimeUniversity of Portsmouth
All available course dates
Do you want to be part of the next generation of cybercrime research and investigation experts? This MSc Cybercrime degree course will improve your technical, investigative and academic skills, pushing you to your career and study goals.
You'll get the skills and knowledge necessary to meet the challenges of cybersecurity, carry out investigations and operate as a link between the police and technological forensic investigators. You'll explore themes like the Dark Web, illegal file sharing and hacking, and get to grips with the challenges faced by criminal justice agencies, businesses and governments in the face of cybercrime.
You'll also get to choose from Core Subjects like Criminology and Security Management, and Specialist Options including Online Governance and Regulation, depending on the career path you want to take.
Qualifications or experience
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject. Exceptionally, applicants with strong and relevant work experience will be considered.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Cybercrime: Critical Perspectives
- Dissertation / Major Project
- Research Methods and Research Ethics
- Research Design and Ethics
- Research Methods
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
- 2 years part-time (distance learning)
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full time: £9,000
- Part time: £4,500 per year
- Full time: £14,300
- Part time: £7,150 per year
For Distance Learning
- Total course fees: £10,500
On this course, you'll:
- Hear the debates surrounding the causes of cybercrime, digital investigations and the methods and motivations of cyber criminals
- Have the option to complete a work placement with an organisation such as the Digital Forensic Group at Hampshire Constabulary
- Customise your degree to meet your career goals
- Learn from experts in cybercrime, policing and government
- Complete a major project, based on your chosen area of research, with the support of qualified and enthusiastic staff who are experts in the field
You can also move on to further PhD study in cybercrime from a legal, technical or investigatory perspective.
You'll graduate from the MSc Cybercrime degree course with the skills needed for a successful career in the field of cybersecurity. You'll be competent in developing strategies against cybercrime threats, and your skills will be in demand in organisations such as criminal justice agencies, local government, businesses and charities. You'll also benefit from our links with Hampshire High Tech Crime Unit and the National Crime Agency.
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about MSc Cybercrime? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Carson, United States of America