MA Innovation in Learning and TeachingUniversity of Portsmouth
MA Innovation in Learning and Teaching
All available course dates
MA Innovation in Learning and Teaching
If you've achieved Fellowship of the HEA, you're looking to progress in your higher education career and you want to shape the future of HE, this Innovation in Learning and Teaching Master's is the perfect next step.
This course provides those already in academic roles the additional skills and experience needed to hold more senior position, and apply for the Advance HE Senior or Principal Fellowship (SFHEA/PFHEA).
Measures introduced by systems such as TEF have highlighted the importance of innovative, student-focused teaching in higher education. This course allows you to adjust your teaching focus accordingly, so you can better address the needs and abilities of students.
You'll learn enhanced higher education teaching practices, including creative pedagogies and different approaches to teaching by distance learning. You'll also be able to further specialise your study through an optional major project.
This part-time course has a flexible approach to accommodate your existing professional commitments. You can study this course entirely through distance learning, or with some elements taught face-to-face. You'll also be credited with 60 RPL Masters credits for your FHEA, so you'll already have achieved 1/3 of your degree before you begin.
When you complete the course, you'll be ready to further your career in higher education teaching, with a fresh set of knowledge and skills that you've already put into practice in your role.
Qualifications or experience
- Course members will have achieved Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, or equivalent.
- A good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core modules in this year include:
- Transformative Learning and Teaching
- Leadership in higher education
- Major project: innovation and transformation in HE
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- For UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £2,480 per year
- For International students: £2,480 per year
On this Innovation in Learning and Teaching Master's, you'll:
- Learn innovative teaching skills, such as new approaches to online and face-to-face collaborative learning, and incorporate them into your professional practice
- Stay up-to-date with current HE best practice, such as the TEF-led focus on innovative, student-focused teaching approaches, and by critically assessing key issues in the sector, such as the BAME Award gap
- Shape the course to the needs of your teaching role
- Spend your time and fees with greater efficiency than a traditional Master's degree, having already achieved 1/3 of your degree through RPL credits awarded for your FHEA
- Take a module which specifically prepares you for Senior or Principal Fellowship, depending on your role and experience, through the APEX Program delivered in collaboration with our Department of Curriculum Quality and Enhancement (DCQE)
- Choose to specialise in your passion through your major project
- Fit your studies around your professional role with distance learning and the option of some face-to-face teaching
You'll graduate with a more innovative teaching skill set applied directly to your HE practice, in addition you'll have opportunities to progress through levels of Advance HE, and create impact in key sector drivers which may support future career aspirations, whether in higher education institutions or other areas of professional practice.
Roles you could go onto work in when you graduate include:
- Senior lecturer
- Senior teaching fellow
- University management
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about MA Innovation in Learning and Teaching? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain
Brno, Czech Republic
Cedar City, United States of America