BSc (Hons) Television and Broadcasting
Television is evolving and the need for media content continues to grow along with the popularity of platforms such as YouTube, Netflix and Now TV.
This BSc (Hons) Television and Broadcasting degree course is an exciting and practical way to learn how to produce and make live television programmes whilst developing industry-level skills in media production. You’ll become a multi-skilled, media-savvy broadcaster who's fully experienced in camera-operating, sound recording, producing, presenting, directing, editing and writing for media platforms and television.
You’ll use industry-standard video kit and multiple TV studios to produce and broadcast live television content to audiences, which will prepare you for employment within this fast-paced and competitive industry.
- A levels – BBB–BBC
- UCAS points – 112–120 points to include a minimum of 2 A levels, or equivalent (calculate your UCAS points)
- BTECs (Extended Diplomas) – DDM–DMM
- International Baccalaureate – 25
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core modules Close all
- Television Production Practices
- Editing for Film and Video.
- Eportfolio for Film and Television
- Presenting and Writing for Broadcast
- Researching the Media
- Factual Media Production
- Television Pilot
- Television Format Live
- Workflow And Post-Production
- Film, Media and Performance Study Exchange
- CCI Self-Employed Placement – Full Year
- CCI Work Placement – Full Year
- Broadcast Transmission
- Engaged Citizenship Through Interdisciplinary Practice
- Factual Media Production
- Professional Experience
- Researching Genre
- Screen Media
- Sport and the Media
- Student Enterprise
- Underwater Filming and Media photography.
- Television Broadcasting
- Documentary Film-Making
- Major Broadcast Project
- Professional Industry Skills
- Self Promotion
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years sandwich with work placement
- UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250 per year
- International students: £16,300 per year
On this Television and Broadcasting degree course, you'll:
- Learn the specialist skills you need to thrive in the industry – 75% of this course is practical
- Use professional cameras (Sony, JVC, Canon), audio equipment (Sennheiser, Sony, Mackie) vision mixing systems (including the Ross Carbonite and the NewTek TriCaster system) and scheduling software for our television channel (Capital Networks' Audience.TV)
- Develop your television production and editing skills
- Experience running a real TV channel and make TV and radio programmes
- Get valuable vocational qualifications and industry-recognised certification using software such as Avid and Adobe
- Diversify your broadcasting knowledge by taking specialist modules that support your career ambitions
- Contribute to our student-led TV channel, CCI TV
- Get involved with our live weekly TV programme, which we broadcast to thousands of people on campus, around the city and online
This degree course can take you in many directions in the broadcasting industry.
What jobs can you do with a television and broadcasting degree?
Our television and broadcasting graduates have gone on to enjoy successful careers in broadcasting and television transmission, post-production, radio, and TV studio production.
Many have secured jobs at household names such as Sky, BBC, IMG, Channel 4, Lion TV and Envy in roles such as:
- camera operator
- studio technician
- video editor
- studio manager
- presentation scheduler
- film/video producer
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Television and Broadcasting? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Campbellsville, United States of America