About this program
BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design
Could you use your creativity, vision and technical skill to transform buildings from the inside out?
On this BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design degree, you'll learn to adapt existing buildings for new purposes and create exciting new spaces by designing stunning, functional interiors.
The skills you learn could lead you onto a career in creative industries such as interior design and retail practice, brand consultancy and visualisation. It'll also set you up for postgraduate study.
- A levels – BBB–BBC
- UCAS points – 112–120 points to include a minimum of 3 A levels or equivalent (calculate your UCAS points)
- BTECs (Extended Diplomas) – DDM–DMM
- International Baccalaureate – 25
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Communication: Fundamentals
- Design: Exploration
- Design: Interior Application
- Design: Introduction
- History and Theory of Architecture
- Technology and Environment: Exploration
- Communication: Creative Practice
- Design: Adaptive Re-Use
- Design: Interior Investigation
- History and Theory of The Interior
- Technology and Materials
- Engaged Citizenship Through Interdisciplinary Practice
- Thematic Design
- Professional Experience
- Student Enterprise
Placement year (optional)
On this course, you can do an optional work placement year between your 2nd and 3rd years to get valuable experience working in industry.
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your situation and ambitions. You’ll get mentoring and support throughout the year.
- Communication: Professional Identity
- Design: Space, Design, Atmosphere
- History and Theory: Dissertation
- Interior: Major Project
- Material Expression
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years sandwich with work placement
- For UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250
- For International students: £15,500
On this course you'll:
- Develop concepts and designs in a lively studio environment that mimics what you'll experience in your career
- Critically debate the history and theory of interior architecture and design
- Develop your technical skills and get an understanding of the rigours and ethics of professional practice
- Work on live projects with the Project Office, our in-house architectural practice
- Access our well-equipped studios, packed with the latest tech including 3D scanning and printing tools and the latest computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Have opportunities to go on site visits and field trips in the UK and beyond, including a European city in your first year
- Get the chance to take advantage of our strong industry connections to build your professional network
What jobs can you do with an Interior Architecture and Design degree?
Previous graduates have gone on to work in multi-disciplinary architectural design practices, commercial and retail practices, brand consultancies and film studios in roles such as:
- interior designer
- model maker
- visual merchandiser
- computer visualiser
- Part 1 architectural assistant
- film studio props designer
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!