About this program
BA (Hons) Film Production
If you’re a budding Spielberg or DeVernay, aspiring cinematographer or the next big thing in script writing, this BA (Hons) Film Production degree is for you.
You’ll learn how to develop, write, produce, direct, shoot edit and promote short film for cinema, television and digital platforms. And you'll learn the professional skills you need to excel in the business side of the film and video industry.
When you complete the course, you’ll be equippe
- A levels – ABB–BBB
- UCAS points – 120–128 points from A levels or equivalent (calculate your UCAS points)
- BTECs (Extended Diplomas) – DDM
- International Baccalaureate – 29
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Creative Storytelling
- Editing for Film and Video
- Eportfolio for Film and Television
- Film Craft
- Film Language and Representation
- Film Production Practices
- World and Transnational Cinema
- CCI Self-Employed Placement – Full Year
- CCI Work Placement – Full Year
- Documentary and Factual
- Engaged Citizenship Through Interdisciplinary Practice
- Fiction Film-Making
- Film, Media and Performance Study Exchange
- Post Production Visual Effects
- Professional Experience
- Script Writing
- Student Enterprise
- Underwater Filming and Media
- Workflow and Grading
- Workflow And Post-Production
- Graduate Film
- Graduate Film Package
- Independent Research Project
- Professional Industry Skills
- Self Promotion
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years sandwich with work placement
- For UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students: £9,250 per year
- For International students: £16,300 per year
On this course you’ll:
- Learn how to develop, write, produce, direct, shoot, edit and promote short films for all platforms – around 80% of the course is practical
- Use professional, industry-level equipment including Arri Alexa cinema camera systems, Avid Media Composer editing software, and a Pro Tools-equipped Foley and ADR sound studio
- Attend masterclasses and workshops on scriptwriting, directing actors, cinematography, sound design, producing and post-production, hosted by experts in the field
You can also:
- Put your skills to to test on a one-year work placement
- Promote your work at our annual screening event at London’s British Film Institute (BFI), putting your abilities on show for guests from the industry
- Showcase your work on our student TV channel and become part of the production team
- Become a Certified User of Avid Media Composer editing software by completing the accredited MC101 and MC110 editing courses
After the course, you can follow in the footsteps of past graduates who have secured roles in the film and video industry in areas such as:
- media management
- technical media
- camera operation
- sound recording
- producing management and coordination
- research and development
- production design
- post-production and effects
Roles our graduates have taken on include:
- camera assistant
- junior/editing assistant
- sound recordist
- junior researcher
- personal or production assistant
- junior/production coordinator
- 3rd 2nd assistant director
Message the school
About this institute
University of Portsmouth
Join us at the UK's only island-city! At Portsmouth, we have five faculties: Business and Law, Science, Creative and Cultural Industries, Humanities, and Technology. Our highest ranking courses are in the field of Biology, but we also have a long...
Why study at University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is consistently within the top-ranked institutions in the UK for student satisfaction, which is reflected in the teaching quality, but also the experience that students enjoy with us.
Students can live a few minutes' walk away from their faculty buildings on campus, with only a 5-10 min walk to the seaside.
The cost of living and accommodation in Portsmouth are significantly lower than in the larger cities in the UK, meaning you'll be able to live more comfortably here. The city is so compact that you don't need to take any public transport and most students/lecturers get around by bike.
The city has a population of around 200,000 and over 10% of this is made up of our student population. We have 5,000 students from overseas on campus.
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Film Production? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!