Master's Degree in Conversion of Electric Power and Power Systems
This Master has been given a double focus: scientific and professional.
In the scientific branch, the offered training allows to deepen in the design of applications of power with a double slope: electrical systems of power and systems of electrical and hybrid traction.The graduate student will become part of a research group in the field of renewable energies and electric traction, either belonging to the University of Oviedo or to companies and external companies.
In the professional branch, people whose future work is framed within the management will be trained in companies in the energy sector.For this purpose, the corresponding subjects have been designed, taking into account both the management of energy in large consumers and the generation and distribution of energy in the liberalized electricity market.
Any person who has an official Spanish university degree, or a degree issued by a higher education institution of the EHEA that empowers the country issuing the degree to access official master's degrees.Students with a foreign qualification (external to the EESS) can also take this Master's degree, which is homologated or not approved, provided that the level of training is equivalent to the degree titles and that it authorizes the issuing country to access official master's degrees.
This Master is aimed, preferably, at Technical Engineers, Graduates in Engineering and Engineers or interested in Power Systems related to Efficient Energy Conversion, who are willing to work in a multidisciplinary, multinational and multicultural environment.In any case, those who start studies in this degree must have elementary knowledge at the level of both technological (electrical technology, electronic and automatic) and management (energy efficiency, techno-economic management).Likewise, students must prove a sufficient level of English, at least: IELTS at least 6.0 with a minimum score of 5.0 in each section, TOEFL (paper based) at least 550 with a minimum of 4.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The curriculum consists of 4 semesters distributed over two years.
- The first semester has been conceived as equalization, in order to establish a uniform level of knowledge among students with different basic training.This semester offers a bag of optional subjects to facilitate the equalization mechanism.
- The second semester offers a series of compulsory subjects for all students.
- The third semester has been designed according to two possible itineraries: professional and researcher.The first one is aimed at acquiring the specific competences related to the management of electric power, with special focus on the master line of energy efficiency and renewable energy.The second deepens in the technological development and industrial design established in the specific competences of the master lines: "Power Systems" and "Electric / Hybrid Vehicle".
- The last semester allows you to complete the training.The subjects taught in this semester include aspects related to the socio-economic impact of the technologies involved in the Master.In addition, a Master's Thesis is carried out.
FIRST SEMESTER (Equalization)
Each student must complete a total of 30 ECTS according to the previous accredited knowledge.The Academic Committee of the Master will select the most suitable itinerary for each student based on their previous training.
- Introduction to the power systems of renewable energies, electric traction and energy efficiency (3 ECTS)
OPTIONS(27 ECTS of those offered)
- Dynamic analysis and modeling of alternate machines (3 ECTS)
- Electronic CAD (2 ECTS)
- Devices and electronic power circuits (5 ECTS)
- Control of electromechanical systems (2 ECTS)
- Dynamic control of alternate machines (3 ECTS)
- Electric power generation (4 ECTS)
- Management and operation of electrical systems (6 ECTS)
- Electric machines for generation and traction (3 ECTS)
- Microcontrollers (3 ECTS)
- Hybrid control and digital processing systems (3 ECTS)
SECOND SEMESTER (Common)
- Analysis, modeling and simulation of power systems (6 ECTS)
- Control and monitoring of renewable electric power systems (6 ECTS)
- Industrial electronics in renewable energy generation systems (6 ECTS)
- Impact of distributed generation on the quality of electrical energy (6 ECTS)
- Laboratory (6 ECTS)
THIRD SEMESTER (Specialization)
- Simulation applied to electrical power systems (3 ECTS)
- Power systems with FACTS and HVDC: Analysis and Modeling (3 ECTS)
Students must choose between:
- Technical-Economic Management
- Regulation and regulation, strategies and energy policies (3 ECTS)
- Economic and financial analysis (6 ECTS)
- Management of electricity projects (renewable and conventional) (6 ECTS)
- Electric markets (6 ECTS)
- External Practices (3 ECTS) *
- Scientific-Technological Research
- Power systems in hybrid (HEV) and electric (EV) vehicles (6 ECTS)
- Storage and energy recovery in electric power systems and hybrid / electric vehicles (HEV / EV) (6 ECTS)
- Power topologies and control methods in FACTS and HVDC applications (6 ECTS)
- Microgrids and smart grids (6 ECTS)
- Simulation applied to hybrid / electric vehicles (3 ECTS)
FOURTH SEMESTER (Final)
- Challenges and trends in the electrical systems of the future (4.5 ECTS)
- Energy efficiency (4.5 ECTS)
- Generic and specific aspects of scientific research (3 ECTS)
- Final Master's Project (18 ECTS)
About this institute
University of Oviedo
The University of Oviedo is a public institution of higher education and research in the Principality of Asturias. With over 400 years of history, it offers a full range of undergraduate degrees adapted to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA)...
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Conversion of Electric Power and Power Systems? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.